Buying Water resistant foam board for the DMS

Has anyone thought about the aerospace committee buying some flight test water resistant foam board for the community to use. I think it would be cool to have this available to use because flight test only sells it in large packs, that is too expensive and not practical for one person. Just something for the aerospace committee to think about.

In fact, Electronics has put together a group buy from Adafruit to garner the discount they offer to us. CA considered putting together a group buy of leather from Tandy. I think a group of metal shop folks put together a group buy of metals once upon a time.

I second Zach’s suggestion. Put together a group buy. I think most of the work so far has been with the Dollar Tree foam. https://www.dollartree.com/Readi-Board-Foam-Boards/p16450/index.pro.

2 Likes

Another thought is we could charge people for it, like 3d fab has filament available if they dont have there own.

My two cents: Group-buy, not DMS-buy.

2 Likes

It sounds like this would be a group buy situation, how do you go about setting a group buy up.

I’d put it up on talk with the details and see if you have any takers. Based upon back of the envelope math it looks like it is just under $2.50 a board to cover the box at $90 and shipping $27.50 for 50 sheets.

1 Like

3D Fab has an incentive to stock filament to keep members who may not know the difference from bringing in really crappy stuff and clogging extruders.

I would be more inclined for a group-buy rather than DMS supply (even for sale). The difficulty in regulating it would be nearly impossible (let’s face it, things go “missing”… and this would just be more trouble than it’s worth to track). Not to mention that it would be, at best, a break-even endeavor.

I would, myself, be in for 14 sheets on a group-buy! :smiley: