[Completed] Buy Quality Leather Cheap and Support the DMS Leatherworking SIG

This deal has everyone so excited it easy to miss details. Mike had to quote it back to me because I forgot to send my cell number.

1 Like

That’s a silver banana so Metric, everyone knows the GOLD standard is Inches. Ask any Moon Walker.

4 Likes

I’m posting here so that I might see a post about the next round if there is one.

1 Like

Cash or cash

I have the following names down for a prospective 2nd round (once I have a better feel for how much leather is left. If you’d like to be included on this list, and don’t already see your handle here, please PM be directly - that’s a lot easier for me to keep up with.

WAITING LIST

@b_glazer
@robarm
@MachtNIchts
@PearceDunlap
@JacobD
@jmeinel
@jottwell
@Phil_Mangone
@CaryF300
@IanLee
@bitta

2 Likes

Or Cold Hard Cash.

1 Like

I’m reminded of a Christmas of my youth; my older sibling request “gas, or better yet, cold, hard, cash” as his only gift item. My parents, always happy to oblige, sent him on a scavenger hunt, ending at the freezer, where they had stashed a quart jar filled with gasoline, and two quarters taped to the bottom…

EDIT: I desperately WANT some of this leather, but I know I’ll not use it in a timely fashion, so I’m leaving it for folks who will. I think this is an awesome thing you guys (and your donor) are doing for DMS!

1 Like

When I post things on CL, I add a blurb…

No checks, no money orders, no trades no low ballers. I don’t want your Grammys china, or that sweet sweet rug you got. Bring U.S. dollar bills and you can have it. Usually gets a chuckle and reduces the emails a bit.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your kind offer. It looks like I am on the waiting list, so hopefully, I will be able to pick up a roll or two. Thanks again.

Dave Turner

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. - Sir Winston Churchill Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (Big Al) Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. -Albert Einstein

1 Like

I’m going to make totes with canvas. It’s a whole idea I’ve been playing with for far to long and it’s time for me to get out of my head to become a tote making queen! Totes for everyone for Christmas. Totes for totes sake.

My plan is to buy two rolls today (which is an obscene amount of leather I realize this)

I’ll post the colors I get and if anyone wants to split 1/2 a hide for 1/2 a hide they can let me know and we can do a back alley leather swap (no cops no funny business).
Thank you @HankCowdog @coloneldan for doing this for Makerspace! You both embody so much of the maker-spirit. They worked and organized this to help fund the leather sig! Give them a visual covid hug when you see them.

3 Likes

If anyone would like to trade a hide let me know. I have two of the same color so I’m willing to part with one if anyone would like…it’s very “brown buttery” neutral warm leaning towards a putty but not quite to that edge of neutral. It’s massive…that’s a 6’ man for reference. When I heard Mike say “the size of two dining room tables” I think I interpreted it as “just a wee amount of leather” but it’s huge and slightly obnoxious.

I also purchased one large grey one and one darker grey that was a bit sliced up (still awesome).

Anyways, willing to trade hides 1/2 or whole with someone if they would like. Just pm me and we will figure it out. So nice seeing everyone today! Even if it was from a responsible distance and masked.

Thanks again everyone and a big thanks to the king of it all Mike “Leatherdaddy” Churchill

1 Like

dust covers are better off not being made of leather. since their main utility is to get dusty.

also there is traditional wisdom that chrome tan leather is not good for tools. The chemistry is somewhat unpredictable. it’s a better to be safe than sorry type situation. espically commercial surplus in large lots.

This is usually a factor with cheap chrome tan which might have dissolved chromium salts left within the hide. These are premium hides and I doubt there’ll be any problem.

I do also have some fake leather ( made from the hide of a bull nauga) which could’ve also be put into service as a cover. The leather would be more durable though, and we have LOTS of the lighter putty color(s) available.

1 Like

That being said, I still would not use any chrome tanned leather where the leather would be in tight, close, continuous contact with steel. Not a good choice for a knife sheath or holster ( it’s too supple anyway).

2 Likes

For reference, our “big” roll turned out to be two hides, and the small rolls were one hide each. Still a fabulous bargain!

Also good for covering books.

2 Likes

So the same lady that gave us the leather has the following materials to donate, too. I will pick them up and deliver them to @HankCowdog 's Storage Bin, assuming Mike is agreeable, if anyone has an interest in them.

If you want to make a donation to DMS that would be awesome, but if not I would be content just to have them not go into the landfill.

Anyone interested?Fabric_Carpet Samples_Remnants.pdf (734.0 KB)

1 Like

If no one else wants it I would be happy to play with the Coria and small metal bits.

I’ll definitely set some aside for you when I get them. Thanks for your interest.

1 Like

Some of those carpet remnants might actually be handy as we added a family member on Monday.

6 Likes

the leather samples seem fantastic to me as a lot of my crafts lately have involved cutting smallish pices of veg tan added up (my scrap pile is in fact a high turnover bin)

1 Like