Bunch of broken and misused things found in JSM tonight

Flux used in graphite crucibles. It should have been taught in the class that THIS IS NEVER OK.

Spatulas misused and one for sure ruined.

And a hammer with… a piece of solderite pad broken off and attached to it for what now?

Ugh, no I did not!

I… Why?!? I want to talk to the person responsible for the hammer. Not so much about what, but why the “fix” was attempted… I’m curious about the thought processes involved.

1 Like

If you track down who put the hammer thing together … I would like to know what it was about as well

2 Likes

Is that this one I accidentally cracked a small graphite crucible? Or a second crucible broken?

@TBenV BenV

Do you know anything about any of this?

No, I haven’t done anything in jewelry for at least a few days and The Crucible I broke was one of the small ones designated for bronze

Check the cameras?

There are none

Sounds like it’s time to get one.

Actually on my list.

2 Likes

That hammer is one I bought and donated and I often use that hammer in my classes
and I have a class this weekend and I may well want it

I hope that whoever did this will come forward and admti it and that they will stp messin u[
tools other use

I am also interested in whey they did that

Any word on when the furnace is going to be repaired?

If its funding then I can do some honorarium classes towards JSM, even dog ear 250 to the committee out of that large fund I’m donating to DMS.

1 Like

The committee just voted to replace it because the furnace needs so many parts replaced on it it’s just not worth the work or the time it will take to get the work done. I’m not sure when we’ll have the new one in.

1 Like

We voted to replace this item at our last committee meeting with the item below. However, contributions and support are always welcomed!

https://pmcsupplies.com/tabletop-furnace-deluxe-quikmelt-kit-with-crucibles-tongs-interchangeable-flanges-made-in-the-u-s-a.html

1 Like

We voted to replace this item at our last committee meeting with the item below. However, contributions and support are always welcomed!

https://pmcsupplies.com/tabletop-furnace-deluxe-quikmelt-kit-with-crucibles-tongs-interchangeable-flanges-made-in-the-u-s-a.html

The guys at Table Top Furnace are great. Working on them to sponsor Science with a couple of kilns and replacement elements. We are kinda hard on them.

2 Likes