Building R/C planes class interest

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a series of classes showing how to build your own rc plane. We would learn how to use the laser to cut the foam and what electronics you should use.

2 Likes

I am interested

I’d be very interested.

definitely interested in any drone type classes, lemme know if anything organized

FYI. This used to be a Committee. They quit meeting and got disbanded.

I think using the laser makes beautiful models that are not too expensive to build.

Yeah, there are some models that just need a dollar tree boards and glue.

I am interested…plus we have perfect season coming up…

Any chance we could be use fiberglass or carbon fiber in construction?

I am in on this.

I am very interested. I’ve been subscribed to the flitetest YouTube channel for ages now, and have seen them do some insane builds with dollar store foam and hot glue. I’ve just never managed to scrape together the funds to pick up a controller. Any idea what the cost would be for a low end, but useable, controller and electronics setup would be?

1 Like

Not sure how great a value this is, but it is well rated: https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/spo/d/fort-worth-rc-airplane-radio-futaba-9cap/6841055567.html

Would you guys be interested in a series where you build your individual planes and cover the supply cost individually or create one group model where the cost would be divided and added to the class cost. Or I could just host an informational class with examples.

For most beginners foam board is the best bet because of the cost and ease of constitution. If we got enough experienced people interested this could be an option.

What if you set it up as a 2 part class with the introduction, examples, and a group build and demo of something simple. Then set up a second class where people can build their own?

i bought that for a drone, but had to keep it away after I realized that unless you are pro, Drones do get stuck in trees.

I would say 2 parts class, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Contribute to the first class for group build and then in the afternoon go buy stuff and come back. I really don’t want to wait another week for whole thing.
But here is confusion, after building the rc plane we need to test it, where/when would that happen? Can some one give a class on flying too?

I hope that it can happen.

Past discussions:

I think individual would be better.

Agreed, but allow people who just want to watch and learn or assist.

If you’re anywhere serious about it, I wouldn’t go too cheap on the controller. Once your vehicle is in the air, the controller is the only connection you have with it! The Frsky Taranis X9D is pretty awesome for the money, it runs open source firmware and there are lots of how-tos online for setting it up and tweaking the configuration for your model.