Brutally simple Fusion 360 question

I just can’t get the Fusion 360 shell command to work correctly. I assume it’s operator error.

I want to make a rectangular brick that is hollow on the bottom. I’m not getting any type of conflict or error message, so dimensions don’t particularly matter.

I sketch the rectangle, extrude the face, and then shell it. If I use the shell command and select the top face, it creates the shell correctly. I can select the inside face of the shell.

However, I don’t want the top face shelled and I’d prefer to not build my part upside down. If I use the shell command and select the bottom face, it appears to leave a skin against the bottom face. When I try to select the inner face, I can’t - it’s obstructed by the “skin” that is still there.

I’m using Fusion 2.0.7830 on a Mac. It doesn’t think there are any possible updates.

Thanks!

Are you sure it’s a ‘skin’ that’s part of the shell or is it just the initial sketch that’s still visible?

1 Like

This. Make sure your sketch is not visible.

2 Likes

That’s a good possibility. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll have to check that.

A tip just in case–an easy way to see if it’s this sketch vs. face issue, you can always hold left click over a surface to see what the options for surface selection are; you would see your sketch and some face, which will be highlighted as you mouse over the options.

1 Like