Bronze alloy for casting?

I need to buy some bronze casting grain for lost wax casting. I have several parts, some of which have moderate details. The largest piece is roughly the size of a large deck of cards (but hollow). Most of the pieces will be machined after casting, and then assembled together, primarily using solder.

I will likely use Rio unless someone recommends a better source. I don’t care about appearance (i.e., color) and the price difference doesn’t matter for the quantities I need. I have my own (unused) crucibles. My priorities are:

(1) Solderability
(2) Low shrinkage
(3) Fine details

These are the choices, in my tentative priority order:

I think I’m leaning toward the Bronze Casting Grain, but I’d sure like to hear from someone who actually knows what they’re doing! :slight_smile:

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

@Terrence is the metallurgy wizard :mage:‍♂

1 Like

Thanks. I’m perusing the Roseco catalog. Way too many choices … I’m looking at these two items. As an additional question, do we have an Open System or a Closed System?

1 Like

Bronze casting grain is what we used in jewelry school (way back when). It has the low shrinkage tight grain you’re looking for. Also, it behaved closest to gold for polishing and soldering purposes.

Safety alert: it contains zinc, which will boil off in the heating process. Don’t breathe the fumes. Don’t worry too much in a large area like we have. It dissipates readily. That white bronze has even more, though. That I’d like to see under a vent hood.

1 Like

The pink bronze Item #: 104316 from Rio is what I believe we used last time we cast and should satisfy your needs for this item as well. For the silver from Roseco, I’ve always had great success with the GRN-57SS for open system.

2 Likes

I’ve donated bags of C954 Bronze with metalurgy reports to jewelry that can be used

2 Likes