Broken Metcal Soldering Stand

Returned from Christmas to find this in the ELab

You some how managed to drop the stand to floor breaking it.
Left the pieces under the bench and ruined a perfectly good Metcal tip.
And you left the Metcal station turned on.
Well done.
Care to take credit for your work??

Sure it wasn’t driven over with a car?

3kvb26

Hmmm…ELab drive by…

Which bench was this?

JSM has a $12 countdown timer on the outlet where they plug in their pickle pot. You just push a button and then it turns itself off at some predetermined interval. I have one for my (home) soldering station in case I forget to turn it off.

It might be worth considering getting some for the soldering station(s).

4 Likes

One of the guys used this at my previous job for his soldering station after too many people borrowed it and left it on. Works great. His didn’t have any option to leave it on indefinitely.

3 Likes

Left Mouser bench.
Interestingly the sldrng iron holder is on that bench and the Metcal pwr unit is on the neighboring bench.

This is why i do my soldering at home. Is there anything good to do? Could we build replacement soldering stand out of wood or aluminum?

Will try hot glue / super glue this one back together…

1 Like

Impressive.

Anyway does anyone know the part number for that? I don’t think we’ve ordered one by itself before.

There should be a spare in the middle cabinet. Maybe it’s not 100% identical but I’m actually not sure. Mostly it just needs to be compatible enough to trigger the iron to sleep while it’s in the stand which I assume all Metcal stands will do.

I managed to hot glue the stand back together.
Not pretty but should work.
We’ll see how well it holds up.

FWIW - the hot glue guns were a PIA to use…

2 Likes

Looks stand part no is WS1 ~$75.
http://www.okinternational.com/hand-soldering-systems/id-WS1/Solder_Workstand_wAuto_Sleep
A little more at Mouser.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Metcal/WS1?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtyU1cDF2RqUL9A9B%2FJXoY%2FDrL2ED%2FmVHo%3D

Center holding piece was not broken.
Need to test next time I’m in.
Station is on the left Mouser bench.

If only a bit more at Mouser, we should get from them, they support eLab very liberally.