Broke a Tool... Sorry

Accidentally broke the handle off this poor little spatula guy. Will replace.

4 Likes

Stuff breaks, especially with the heavy use things see at DMS. Thanks for reporting it so it can be fixed/replaced!

4 Likes

Thanks for reporting it.

Out of curiosity, what were you doing that caused it to break?

#inquiringmindswanttoknow

3 Likes

We shouldn’t care what dwight was doing when this tool broke; if he is willing to replace it…

There are so many ner-do-wells wandering through the Space, destroying Space tools and then shrugging it off (I pay dues). When a member comes forward and tells us his story, and promises to cover the damage, I really don’t care how it happened. It is my personal hope that he was pushing the boundaries, looking to achieve something which no one had ever seen.

Keep it up, Dwight! Do what you do, it will work!

He’s likely asking to see if it’s worth blacksmithing a replacement, not to see if he can place blame.

3 Likes

It’s also a learning opportunity of what not to do.

4 Likes

Thanks @Russell_Crow but I don’t mind sharing. I was attempting to pry some silicone out of a mold. The handle was pretty brittle and snapped immediately.

3 Likes

Also sounds like an inspired woodturner could replace the handle as well. Then when Dwight replaces it, we can have 2 nice things.

5 Likes

I can’t tell for sure, but it looks like a cheap plastic handle with none of the tool’s shank extending into the handle. Bad design that is just waiting to break.

Well the silicone I was trying to pry out was literally a mold for handle blanks so I guess we know what needs to happen now.

10 Likes

Good lord. No tang at all to speak of. I wouldn’t even classify that as a tool with that design.

2 Likes

A bit of this:
I do have some spring steel (courtesy of a donated garage door spring - thanks @Tski!) which would be suitable for forging a replacement, if that’s something you’d like. Would go together pretty quickly, but would need a turned (or 3D printed) handle. Let me know. I’ll be at DMS Thursday night…

But, mostly this:
knowing failure modes for tools at DMS can help others avoid perpetuating the same mistake. I’m big on after-action reports which help all members learn.

Not this at all:
Example: When I broke the cold cut saw blade last year - even though I offered to (and did) pay to replace the blade - I wanted everyone to know how/why so they could avoid a similar mishap.

Hopefully, DMS members now knowing if you cycle the power on the cold cut saw you’ll lose the clamping will help prevent someone else from making a similar mistake.

6 Likes

This is gonna be the most badass little spatula thing of all time

7 Likes

I’ll turn something if were really doing this :slight_smile:

@Lordrook I thought it was agreed that I was going to turn the handle

I didn’t get that from the convo, but by all means have at it.

@HankCowdog I’ve got a blank for the handle made if you’re down to forge the metal part.

1 Like

My bad. I guess I could’ve been more clear

no worries man, I look forward to seeing the new paint spatula!

Epoxy it. Will be good as new.

I <3 the OP for saying sorry and making a post about this. You, sir, shall inherit the world. @dwight

1 Like