Bring Honor & Glory to DMS...or "Big Tex is looking at You"

Mourning the absence of the 10x10 Show this year?
Me too.
So is James Henningson @mrjimmy.
But wait…James has a solution to our grief…

We need to take the State Fair by storm.

Yeah, let that sink in, Makers!
And James Henningson is the Man with the Plan to get us to the State Fair. He’s waiting on your questions right now. But here’s a Fair Starter Pack to kick it off:

Time to thank our volunteers:

• James @mrjimmy is on fire about this idea. He held a class on Sunday to impart his Insider Knowledge.
  • Judy @jrkriehn designed our flyers.
  • Bert @bertberaht drilled the hole in the hardcopy handbook, which you will find mounted on the bulletin board for your reading pleasure.
8 Likes

Going to start the ball rolling.

Not making anything new.

• Am entering two prints I made this year into Department G “Holiday Corner”: New Years (G125) and Valentine’s (G132), All Ages.
  • There is a Printmaking Category Adult Division (A124) in Department A “Fine Arts”, but the Dept prohibits digital art. I used vector files to laser engrave wood blocks.
  • Also per the rules, I’ll need to temporarily replace the glass in my frames with acrylic.

This points up the need to read the rules. Here’s an example of a lead-in page, which appears with every Department.

EDIT: I know our Board members are entering. Tagging James, Ken @Lampy, @Julie-Harris, @Scott_Blevins, and Marshall @mblatz. Tell us what you are entering.

4 Likes

I’ve talked with blue ribbon board on that one. If the artwork is original to start with but a vector or computer aided production model is used as long as the end result is analog they’re fine with it. For example my steamroller prints are usually run on Multicam with minimal hand touch up. I had another young lady do her own machine embroidery lace. Another laser cut collage went in once.

1 Like

Also noteworthy since many people may have old info…legal standards for a copyright is its not OK to use if an average person can identify the “stolen” source. Even if the images are free to use entry into this type of contest is considered commercial use. 40% change is no longer legal standard.

That’s great because then my very first print will qualify under Fine Arts! I took a black and white photograph from a vacation, digitized it, and made a laser engraved wooden print block. Definitely my original image. And it’s the project that made me fall in love with Printmaking. Thank you, MrsMoose.

I was thinking of doing some fancy pens for the woodturning category, but I also saw the “no kits” in the prohibited items. Does that preclude doing pens as the metal parts are usually part of a kit?

@mrjimmy do you have any insight on this?

1 Like

No problem. At some point I’ll imagine the will clarify that point because the art with a capital A folks have a hard on about CAM, but for now we win lol. I would’nt put in a 3D printed sculpture unless it’s heavily modified after though. A bit close the line Haha.

@mrjimmy Where would Abstract Resin Pouring fall in? My best guess is maybe mixed media since I’m using acrylic and ink to tint my resin. Or maybe art with embellishments?

1 Like

Oh, let’s be honest. These people have a hard-on about ANYTHING off their immediate radar. A friend coordinated a couple of city-wide QuiltMania events, celebrating quilts as art in a variety of different venues. One venue hosted a “panel discussion” that featured two grad students from UNT who were doing “quilt-like” art, and a nationally known artist who had earned an MFA in painting, but once discovering quilt making, switched her creative focus to art quilting.

At one point, one of the students made a really snarky remark about how quilts weren’t real “art,” but in the next breath starts whining about how her grids drawn with nail polish with embedded thread weren’t taken seriously by fellow artists.

Hmmm. Irony, much?

I am planning for my kids to enter slip cast pieces, other ceramics and probably glass pendants again this year. I hadn’t thought about entering but I probably should. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here are a couple of official definitions that are kind of important. The Creative Arts competition is supposed to be for “amateurs.”

Amateur: A person who engages in an event or activity as a pastime rather than a profession.

Professional: A person who has engaged in an event or activity for monetary profit and has earned more than $2,000 in a year, or a person who teaches and/or instructs a particular craft or skill (e.g., sewing, needlework, baking, etc.). Any person who has edited, produced, printed, and published a cookbook for individual gain is considered professional and will not be eligible to compete.

• In Photography, a professional photographer uses photography to earn money, while amateur photographers take photographs for pleasure and to record an event, emotion, place, or person.
2 Likes

I believe the “no kits” rule is for pre-cut kits that are just assembled, but I’ll check with them and see.

3 Likes

I am going to make this into something. What ‘that something’ eventually is has yet to be determined.

3 Likes

I wish it were something we could title PineCorn. It just has a satisfying ring to it. Although completely non-sensical.

2 Likes

I am filled with curiosity about “Glue-A-Shoe.” The title suggests an embellished shoe of some sort. But it is in the cooking division. So maybe it’s a cake. But the category rules strictly state nothing edible can be used. And only ONE shoe. Not a pair.

Hmmmmmm.
Edit: Tagging @mrjimmy

For a little bit of Creative Arts humor:
One year, I entered the “collections” division. (cracks me up that you can win a prize for either being a pack-rat or shopping your way to winning success.)

Anyway, at that time, collections had to be THREE items. I entered three souvenir plates. I was apparently the only person who entered the category, but only won second place. Still makes me laugh. Now, collections apparently only require TWO items. (the exhibit space is very limited). So you too could enter!

2 Likes

By that definition anybody who teaches at DMS would be considered a professional. (Not saying I agree with that, I’m just interpreting)

1 Like

Usually, if quilt shows are any indication, definitions of “teaching” involve payment for services. TECHNICALLY (as I understand) honorarium isn’t payment for services; it is merely a token “thank you”. Otherwise, it would be called a stipend. Or something like that. But let’s tag James @mrjimmy to add to his questions-for-the-actual-organizers list.

2 Likes

They make an exception if you’re art teacher in the amature category if you’re someone who doesnt specialize and otherwise meets requirements, but a printmaking professor would still be professional.

3 Likes

For this year’s State Fair is celebrating Texas creativity. That gives a lot of room for entries in the State Fair Cima category as well. And I also think it is another good reason for us to trying to make a Big Splash in KMS is not celebrating Texas creativity I don’t know what the heck it is.