Bridgeport & Sherline Mill Classes for August

Just submitted for calendar review the following Mill Classes in Machine Shop

Sherline for Bridgeport Trained members
Tuesday, August 22nd @ 7PM 10 Spaces
This is a “Fast Track” class for those that have been trained on the Bridgeport. It’s 90 minute class focusing on the differences and capability differences between the Bridgeport & Sherline Mills so you can get up and running on this tool fast since the basic machining and cutters part are the same.

Standard Sherline Class
Monday, August 28 @ 7PM 6 Spaces

Standard Bridgeport Class
Tuesday, August 29 @ 6:30PM 6 Spaces

Classes should appear 2:30Pm on Tuesday

Working on Bridgeport for Sherline Trained class that will be similar to Fast Track class listed above.

1 Like

Thank You! I’ll be sure to sign up for both standard classes as soon as they post!

Interested in both classes, been watching daily for a Bridgeport especially to post. One question on the Bridgeport class, it’s listed as Tuesday, Aug 28. I imagine this should be Aug 29 if the Sherline class is Aug 28, correct? Just want to be sure so I can keep my schedule open.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Here’s what’s been submitted, Bridgeport is the 29th.

1 Like

18 posts were split to a new topic: Why can’t I see a class that the instructor says they have scheduled?

Are these classes required in order to use this equipment or merely “suggested”?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give. Been trying to get an answer to this for some time now.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Machine_Shop_Committee#Training

The HAAS VF-2 requires training, as does the Bridgeport mill, the Colchester lathe, the Sherline bench top tools and the Kalamazoo cold cut saw. Nothing else in the machine shop requires training, however members should not use any equipment without understanding its operational and safety requirements.

Required. The only power tools in Machine that are not training required are the Vertical band saw and the drill Press.

• Engine Lathe
  • Bridgeport
  • Haas
  • Cold Saw
  • Sherline Mill
  • Sherline Lathe

All require training. For the Bridgeport & Sherline Mill I’ve starting teaching an abbrecitaed course if you’ve taken one or the other. This is possible because the machining process is the same it is just learning the differences between the machines.

I’m sure we’ll get one for the Engine lathe and manual Sherline. When we get the CNC Sherline up and running I imagine one of the lathe course will be a prerequisite so that course will just focus on the CNC portion of running the lathe.

I gotcha. This helps me a lot.

Kind of a tangent here but may I ask what seems to be the issue with the CNC Sherline…? I have not been up to the site or on the Talk site for some time so am not aware of the issue.

The basic CNC lathe has been donated by Rich Meyers. We need to add a computer with a parallel port (I have one, talked with Nick on Saturday). It will need some software and a few other things.

In our last purchase ($2K+), that came in last week, of a accessories and parts for the Sherlines, Machine Shop purchased items like tail stocks, chucks, etc. for it. So it is actively being worked on.

I gotcha. Well please keep my name in mind. We build CNC machines at my company from mills to pick-n-place devices for SMT/SMD electronics components. I am sure I could find a computer with a parallel port available, though it would likely be easier to just get a USB to Parallel converter made just for CNC applications (i.e., UC100). This is all dependent upon what software you elect to use as well (We support and distribute Mach3 with our devices). Anyways, If I can help please do not hesitate to ask. I am eager to see everything running as I have some friends who want to learn to mill and turn metal as we are avid dragster builders and they could use the knowledge. I cannot allow them in our facility for liability reasons, hence my reasoning behind inquiring into the DMS equipment.

1 Like

I really suggest that we don’t add a computer, but rather an Arduino with a GRBL shield, that way any member can use the web browser on their (or a DMS) laptop to control the lathe. This will remove the computer as a point of failure in a very metal chip environment. The Arduino and GRBL can be placed in a 3D printed enclosure and easily protected.

I will leave that decision up to folks that know more about it.

GRBL Shield would be a great option as well not from just the integrity standpoint but because it will require the user to learn at least the basics of G-Code. However, One of the things you lose this way is the ease and ability of changing tools, modifying tool offsets, tool paths, etc. Also, you will still need a computer that actually runs GBRL 1.1 or a DSP controller because something has to feel the G-Code to the GBRL Shield. I run GBRL 1.1 on a CNC drill press table at the shop and have made dozens of desktop Mill/Laser Engraver Combos. It takes a little more effort getting a file from the native format a user may have created it in into a .ncc or .nc format, but there are utility applications that can do this. We just love Mach3 though because the software package comes with a Mill, Lathe, and Plasma version and all of the screens look the same, minus the one characteristic that obviously sets them apart.

1 Like

Like to hear more about the dragsters…

LoL Jast, the thing I can talk about the most on this subject is the never ending need for more money. We have a Top Fuel Nostalgic, a Pro Modified 69 Camero with a blown 526 cubic inch motor producing 3800HP, and a rear mount rail car. I also have a 2002 turbo charged Suzuki Hayabusa with duel shots of NO2

2 Likes

If I said I don’t believe a word of that, would it lead to postings of pics, dyno sheets, and 1/4 mile run videos? :wink:

My fav. model of Camaro, with what might be my favorite drive train… Is Keith Black still the name in this type of powerplant?

lol you are entitle two believe what you want…I do not make it a habit of calling anyone a liar. Nor do I make it a habit of being baited. You asked, I told you. You are welcome to come see us anytime you like as we run all over Texas and neighboring states. As for Mr Black, we have ran his pistons in a few cars but not in a while. We run Bordix Blocks and Wiseco pistons. From there everything else is tailored around that car’s mechanics preference…

2 Likes