Bridgeport issues

Please explain what happened. Thanks

When I joined in 2015, I had a vague idea on a milling project involving some interesting oval tube (example). The reaction I got from the people I spoke to was less than encouraging - ranging from “do it on a lathe” (yeah, really) to “hire a machinist to do it for you”. Quickly decided that I wasn’t going to get anywhere on that project at the time and almost dropped my membership.

Interesting project. Did you ever go forward with it?

Nope. Still have some ~20’ of the material - 1.50 x 1.00 flat oval, 0.125" wall, bright finish.

Would have needed to make some joints for what I wanted to do. I wanted the lowest possible profile, so a spline joint seemed like the best way to go, but snaking a wire around the perimeter would have been tricky. External couplings would have added bulk and been more trouble than I wanted to go through.

1 Like

Well, now I’m curious. What’s the end goal of the proj?
What do you need to mill on the oval tubing?

Yeah - a bit off topic.
It’ll be OK.

1 Like

I think this would be firmly in CNC mill territory. I don’t see an easy way to do this.

We were punching about 1000 holes in an aluminum pole straight up and down in aluminum tube. I have my own new full carbide bits for this. 3/8ths go fine, no problem with 1/4”, and then about 90 holes into using 3/16th the shaft about half way up Shatters. Tube is still held firmly in vice. Used a pair of pliers to pull the stick pieces of the bit and put up the colet. Then I walked around shaking my head trying to think of why that happened. I’m going to order another bit on amazon. Should I buy a new colet also? If so is there a certain type or name