Bridgeport issues

Just noticed a couple things in the machine shop and wanted to let @Team_Machine_Shop know

This set up was left in the Bridgeport I don’t know by who and hopefully the collet isn’t damaged

Sorry not the best photo but that is a #10 drill bit in a 3/16 collet, obviously something that should never be done

And there is another bent parallel 1’ 5/8 this time, I know it wasn’t bent a couple of days ago after I used it.

5 Likes

Thanks much for letting us know.

2 Likes

and this is why we can’t have nice things.
someone is obviously putting parallels in the vise front to back rather than along the jaws and squeezing them.

2 Likes

But …why?

and some more chars.

1 Like

People are quick to say “because they’re stupid”

But at makerspaces the reason is usually “because they have no idea what they’re doing and they’re allowed to make it up as they go”

1 Like

Parallels are demonstrated during the class, so there really is no excuse.

3 Likes

We’re assuming that the parallels were being used by someone who took the class. Judging from the 0.1935" drill jammed into the 0.188" collet, it looks like someone was using the Bridgeport like a drill press with a DRO. It could possibly be someone one who didn’t take the Bridgeport class.

2 Likes

Check the video time!
Find them so that we may educate them on the errors of their ways…

1 Like

If timing helps, there was a person using a long drill bit like the one in the photo at 5:30 - 6:30 Sunday during the HAAS practical portion of the class. It looked like they were working on drilling a hole (longways) into a flat pinion style gear.

I left after that, so I can’t say 100% that was the person in question but 6:30 is before 7:41.

1 Like

From my point of view that is the whole point of the DMS. The fact that people don’t feel comfortable asking for help for fear of looking stupid or being belittled is the real problem.

5 Likes

If it helps, anyone who asks me for help typically takes priority of whatever else I was doing, and I try not to belittle while helping others out.

With respect to heavy machinery and “winging it” I think the main issue is, the person who makes the mistakes doesn’t have the feedback loop to know they did something wrong. Not to pick on the person who messed up the above, but the collet being bent doesn’t harm their work, and the parallels being out of true didn’t matter for how they were using them. The next person who wants true parallels and a tight collet is the one that suffers.

Also, there is the cost associated with the mistakes, which in the machinist world is far too expensive for the lesson learned.

With all of that said, I do agree that some people may be afraid to ask for help with the perception of our attitude being, “you fucked up, so you’re banned forever”. We should be working to change that.

2 Likes

I have looked at some of the footage but haven’t got that far into it.

1 Like

Same here: that’s a large part of the enjoyment I get from the Makerspace.

I’ll also suggest a safer way of doing something if I see someone using a tool in a manner I feel is unsafe to themselves or the tool - better to offer a suggestion than to deal with an injury.

1 Like

Part of the problem may be not knowing what to ask.
You have a task you need to get done, so you look for a means to an end - never mind the damage done in the process.

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance here, is there a reason we have not went to an rfid system on these tools? I realize that a plc/relay solution takes some time to engineer but would seem to fix all that ails.

Thanks

Freddy

1 Like

That presumes that they were damaged on the Bridgeport. Obviously that is possible, but they could have damaged them in any number of ways we can’t imagine.

1 Like

I believe in this case the collet was found in the Bridgeport

1 Like

I was really thinking about the parallels, but yes, the collet is unlikely to be used in other ways.

1 Like

We humans have this terrible habit of making up false realities to ourselves when we don’t communicate or take action.

I can’t speak for what they believe the reality to be in their head, but I can speak from experience of what actually happens.

Just about everyone who asks for help is treated with enthusiasm, I can site many examples over the years both from myself asking for help coming into this organization and from what I have witnessed of how others helping others. On the other hand I cannot think of a single time someone has been looked lowly upon or mistreated when asking for help.

It’s not the people that ask for help that are the problem, in fact, that personality trait is a tell tale sign of excellence. It is the person who has the attitude “leave me alone I know what I am doing” and the person who doesn’t really have an interest in learning the tool that are the problem.

9 Likes

I think the 3/16th Collet is damaged
It shattered my Carbide bit today