Bridgeport Head Trammimng

Hi All

Used the Bridgeport yesterday. I suspect that the head may be out of tram.

Do we have a tram plate? image

I will do what I can to come in next weekend…probably Friday or Sat. I will be more than happy to teach the Teachers the proper method to tram the head and indicate the vice.

How far out do you suspect it to be?

In which direction? Four weeks ago, it was significantly out of tram (tilted with respect to y axis) but Bob and Charles and Sam McFadden trammed it. (See this other thread).

Curious to know whether it’s the same issue.

Suggest after it is Trammed putting witness putty on the bolts that loosen the head to tell if they are working lose or if it someone adjusting it and not putting it back correctly.

4 Likes

“X” axis may be out.

There are several reasons for a head to go out of tram. These may include: someone intentionally taking it out of tram; the operator knocking it out of tram via the use of dull cutters, improper feeds and speeds, et al; actual machine wear.

I will be more than happy to teach and demonstrate the correct method to tram a head and indicate a vice. Class material needed include: a tram ring or plate, India stone to address any burrs, acetone, paper towels, collets and test indicator, combination wrenches and rubber mallet.

I will discuss the tell-tale signs of a head out of tram; the proper method to remove and lay an object on a precision surface; proper cleaning methods and the actual tramming and indicating process. I do not mind this session being video taped for internal DMS use, only.

There is no “mystique” about tramming and indicating. This was among the first requirements to learn during a Toolmaker’s apprenticeship!

3 Likes

I think we have one of these in the toolbox. It will help a lot otherwise it is the old school method using a dial indicator.

1 Like

It was off about 1 thou in 4". It is now off about 2 tenths, I may try and get it better this week to save will the trip.

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks for doing this.

1 Like

Did you look at it Yesterday Charlie?
I will be by this afternoon to take a look. I will check the tram, the spindle & table as they can all give an “out of tram” look.

Need to tram the table…not the top of the vice. Unless the parallels I was using are bad?

Did both last night

3 Likes

Used the gauges after I checked them.

1 Like

I’d say that’s very possible with those parallels. How closely did you check them? I’ve had to stone knicks out of a pair before use. Never hurts to indicate the parallels.