Breaking down Lignum Vitae

I recently got a nice piece of Lignum Vitae, aka Ironwood, and was wondering if anyone was going to be around the evening of 6/16 that would be able to give me some guidance on breaking it down into turning blanks, both pen and other. I’d risk it myself, but it’s a very dense piece of wood, and I’d prefer not to damage the machines while trying to do so as I’m lacking the experience.

I don’t need you to do it for me, but advice on the blades to use on the band saw, and maybe a little direction on the best way to approach it, would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate the help in advance!

2 Likes

LV is an excellent wood. (me drooling).
As with all bandsaws - let the blade do the work. Don’t push overtly. And, LV is self lubricating! hopefully someone will be there to help you resaw it.

3 Likes

I use Pam, the spray for cooking on my bandsaws.
It does not leave a residue and makes things a lot smoother.
It is also cheap and easily purchased. I will try to remember to bring in a can this weekend.

Hi Mathew. Thanks for asking before doing something you weren’t 100% sure about. A great example for everywhere in the 'Space!

Joining up very dense (i.e. oily) exotic woods is also a bit of a challenge and requires non-standard techniques. You can research on internet or ask one of the Woodshop SMEs that might be hanging around if/when you are ready.

Note: our system of record does not reflect that you have taken DMS Wood Shop basics, yet. This is a requirement before using any of the large power tools in the Woodshop. You can check this for yourself via the QR code sticker thingy on entrances to the Woodshop.

If you have taken WSB, please get with your instructor and make sure they have take necessary steps to get you appropriate tagged in the system.

2 Likes

Appreciate the advice. I’ve taken the class, I’ll just have to make sure the system gets updated for it. Nice square squared up block of wood I got out of that class, amazing what scrap can turn into. Lol.

1 Like

lol…it’s pretty much a four edged weapon when it’s done right.