Brazing 304 Stainless Steel

Not sure if this possible or where the correct forum for this question would be. I would like to attach a capillary tube to a soldering iron tip. Is it possible?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R2X6D6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soldering Gun

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Soldering-Portabl-Automatic-Circuit/dp/B08MQ9NYKK/ref=sr_1_28?dchild=1&keywords=automatic+soldering+iron&qid=1623810164&sr=8-28

I want to make a home brewed solder sucker. So where is the welding forum?

Welding falls under Metal Shop
@Team_Metal_Shop

I’ve never tried brazing SS. If you have an oxy acetylene setup at home, we don’t have one at the makerspace, here is an article with some tips.

1 Like

You can also braze with the tig torch, but it requires a high amount of skill. The best bet would be just buying a solder sucker, but that defeats the purpose of home brewing :smiley: porta torches for oxy acetylene are sold for like $300 most places, but you’ll still need to fill your tanks for about another $50. You’ll need to make sure the bottles are indented with the DOT labels instead of a sticker or else airgas suppliers won’t refill them. If you do end up getting an oxy acetylene rig I can teach you how to use it - not as a certified dude, but just as some random guy at the makerspace.

1 Like

I only have one working hand, and a $125+ price tag is a bit much If I can attach the capillary tube to the soldering iron tip I can make on for under $10.

So the question stands. Can 304 Stainless Steel be brazed?

I saw your post about mapp gas - mapp gas is going to have an issue with heating the parts to brazing temp without insulation or bonus oxygen of some kind - you’d be able to solder but the joint may get destroyed as you use the solder sucker. With enough insulating material like kaowool around the piece that you’re soldering, blasting it full bore with the mapp gas for several minutes, and either using a blower or a pressurized oxygen cylinder, you could definitely get up to brazing temp for silicon bronze, but I’m not sure how the flux would hold up to several minutes of getting blasted. One working hand with TIG won’t go too well. Apparently they make MIG brazing wire, which would play nicely with having one working hand, but I barely know anything about MIG.

and yeah 304 stainless shouldn’t be a problem to braze.

For a temporary mount wire could be used.What alloy would need to be used for brazing do you think?

The parts are both really small, a butane torch might work.

I’m looking at this on Amazon.

Just to make sure I’m on the same page, you want to attach the stainless steel tube to the soldering iron by brazing it? Because the silver solder you just linked melts at 450F. You could definitely melt it with a butane/propane/mapp torch, but the soldering iron will get to 450F on its own, so the capillary tube would fall off before it would get hot enough to suck up solder. That’s why most brazing is done with silicon bronze.

1 Like

Most solder iron are well below 300°C. Lead tin Solder melts around 235°C, much hotter that that you risk damaging the work.

When I’m wrong I’m wrong, I tried it in an iron I retired because solder wouldn’t stick to it. Now I know why, it melts silver solder just fine. So I’m going to have to crank the power to this iron dramatically or find a new brazing metal other than silver. I’ll give the former a try but am open to suggestions as to a different brazing metal. Any suggestions?

Pure silver melts at 961°C, wonder if a butane torch could reach that temperature? I googled it 1,430 °C, so yes I could do it.

There is a brazing rod that is 45% silver(we use the term silver solder even though it’s technically not solder). It is liquidus temp is 1370F, with a solidus of 1225F. It will work with stainless, however I am not sure how it would hold up to your application. It also requires white brazing flux.

I suppose we give it the name silver solder probably because it typically comes in coiled rolls. It can be had in stick form, as I find it better for my typical uses.

Here is the link to Harris web site

How would you use it? Acetylene torch?

I tried silver wire and a butane torch and wasted about $8.00 of silver wire. Oh well.

Oxy-acetylene is what I generally use with it, although I am working with copper and brass mostly. Oxy-Propane might work, but I have not used it in that application. The Harris link TBJK provided is good, another search term is Sil-Phos.

What is white flux?

Is this the same thing?

Now I need to find the brazing material…

Yes. You do not need a lot. I almost buy new every time I go to use it. In my case it drys up before I get to use it all. I will be glad to give you a couple sticks of 45%