Brazilian Banknotes Wanted

Where can I buy Brazillian currency? I want to be able to say, “I’ll give you two brazillion dollars for that!”

3 Likes

your bank can usually do this; you’d call your local branch and tell them how much you need, and they’d arrange it to be in the batch of their next foreign exchange delivery. Some banks have a minimum but most will do it.

-Jim

2 Likes

I will agree with what Jim said here as I used to work for a bank. Sadly the minimum is closer to $1000 worth depending on the bank. I remember once asking for some of the $1 coins when they first came out, since that was US currency I had to get at least $200 worth.

Edit- I annoyed a lot of Renaissance fair vendors that season.

3 Likes

Now you can get them in rolls for $20 or $25… I forget. Also change at Dart ticket kiosks if you use cash. I refer to it as pirate booty. Useful at renaissance fair and also for leaving tips if you want to be remembered.

2 Likes

I wonder if you could look for that on ebay. I think that a coin shop might have a few to purchase, but who knows if there are any open right now?

https://www.travelex.com/currency/brazilian-real – first thing that came up on Google…

I’ve used these guys for almost any currency in the world. They are in the Willow Bend mall in South Plano on the Tollway.

https://www.shopwillowbend.com/store/Texas-Currency-Exchange/2138946160/

Of course, they are currently closed.

Re renfair money and $1 coins

Yeah, I had a customer pay me $100 in those gold Sacajawea dollars that year. “Coin of the realm”

I actually still have a lot of the nicer ones and some of the Susan B Anthony dollars in my piggy bank. Also had a customer that liked to pay in brand new $2 bills. Those were fun. Had a stack of those.

I didn’t use any for awhile, but it was silly to hang on to the gold dollars that the coating wasn’t in good shape (disappointing how those weathered).

Every now and then I used some at stores. Maybe a decade later (sigh), the gold dollars, it sometimes took a manager telling the cashier that yes those are actual valid currency.

Should see the discussion when I use a $2 bill, especially on a younger person. Good times.

1 Like

I’ve done that at the currency exchange in the airport. They will change any amount because they take in cash from people arriving with spare change. Next time you are flying through DFW just take the tram to terminal D.

I might have been your $2 bill customer. All the bank tellers have some on hand, so I’d always grab $40 worth to pay the fun people of the world. I’m sure I’m not the only one doing this, but if you got it from me, you must have been pretty fun.

1 Like

apparently by the end of that season when those coins came out, the vendors were sick of it. Just about everyone was like “oh great, more of these damn coins”.

I also have had a $2 bill rejected one time at the mall (like 20 years ago) by a kid at the pretzel stand. finally the asst manager came over and finished the transaction.

I’m not sure if my school was unique or something, but we actually covered US currency in my high school freshmen geography class. That’s where I had learned about $2, $500, $1000, and $10,000 bills. I assume they must have stopped that or my teacher thought it was important.

2 Likes

So you just want to be “keepin’ it Real” ?

1 Like

Selling scrap metal to yards will put Susan Bs and TJs in your pocket. Fulton’s in Denton was well known in my circles a decade ago, and I hear other like companies are similar. Speculation says they get these low-circ denominations direct from the bank specifically to catch attention, so you remember where you got them, maybe even give one to that curious Dennis from next door so they tell their friends, etc.

Less off-topic… remember the President GW Bush Brazillion soldiers joke from a few years back?
Tacos rule!

That’s exactly where I got the idea that started this topic.

1 Like

The last time I was at Fulton’s they still gave out $2 bills. Didn’t remember getting any Susan B’s as of recent.

1 Like

Re $2 bills

My customer always had a stack of them and decent amount were new. I asked him and he said about a month or so before fair, he’s request them at the bank and sometimes they had to transfer them in, then he’d pick them up

Interesting fellow. He and his wife met on a wrong number. He’d misdialed, she answered, they got to chatting and hit it off. Got married.

It was when I first knew him. Customer a couple years, then showed up with his sweetie, big grins, great story, and more of those $2 bills.

They were together at least the 20 years I knew them, then they moved away about 7-8 years ago to Oklahoma I think. Came back and visited the fair once, said hello. Haven’t seen them in awhile now.

3 Likes

Definitely not me then, but it’s great to hear that other people enjoy spreading the $2 fun like I do.

2 Likes

Ya never know. I got them from several customers over time. This guy stands out because it was always quite a few. But had others that they just included as part of payment

I have Brazilian Reais left over, including some small bills.

If you send me a private message with an address, I can mail them to you.
r/
drb

Thanks a brazillion!

2 Likes