Brake squeaking noises normal?

Hello guys, My brother gave me his car and I am not good with cars so I need help for 2006 BMW E46 with over 80K Mileage. When I brake, I hear squeaking noises and it irritates me hearing that. Does it sound good to replace the brake pads only? or I should also replace the rotors?

1 Like

Personally, I’ve always replaced the rotors when doing brakes. You really can’t/shouldn’t just repalce the pads without resurfacing the rotors or drums. The cost of rotors and drums have come down so much and the cost of labor to turn them, that there is almost no price difference. Plus you’ll have new, true, flat, thicker rotors and a you’ll know everything is good.

If you do it yourself at the space, it just takes minutes to pull the old rotor off and put a new one on. Otherwise, pull the old ones, take it somewhere to be turned, wait, then come back.

The noise you’re hearing could be a feature that is built into the brakes that is warning you there is very little pad left

4 Likes

Pads and rotors and the sensor. One left front sensor for front brakes (one right rear sensor - for rear brakes).
BMW does not use the “metal tab” that makes that “nails on a chalkboard screech” noise when the pads are worn out. They have a single pad sensor on the left front & one at the left rear since 1986 that illuminates an indicator warning lamp.

Rotors are held on by a Torx style fastener.

2006 BMW would have been ceramic pads from the factory.

BMW brakes are some of the easiest brakes to change and relatively inexpensive as long as it is not an M model.

4 Likes

Can confirm, my 1989 has a brake pad wear sensor. Always thought that was very futuristic for the 80s. I think on an e46 the rotor set screw is a hex, 6mm maybe?

My two cents, turning isn’t worth it, just do new rotors with the pads. The cheapest ones from Rock Auto are gonna be like $30 a piece.

2 Likes

Earlier BMW’s had Allen head fasteners holding the rotors on before BMW went to the dark side with the Torx.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice @Photomancer @TLAR.

What do you think of R1 Concepts Optimum Oep? My brother gave me this brake pad.

@TLAR Totally deffer to Tom on such matters. I’m not a follower of high performance parts, etc. Tom tells me what to get, usually at various price points: Primo parts, good upgrade parts to aren’t crippling in cost, what I can afford, and what to avoid.

There are lots of other members around that can give good advice on suggested parts - I’m not one of them.

I’m more of a OEM type parts because I know they’ll work.

1 Like

No idea.

Most all brake rotors today are made in China (unfortunately) no matter what the name of the brand is (there are a few, very few exceptions).
For a street car - I am an Akebono ceramic brand pad guy (Sound Japanese and is, but are made in a plant near St Louis) and are stock for many Asian and Euro cars today and for the last 15 years.

2 Likes