Brake Job & Lift Class?

So I know this is a long shot, but is anyone available (updated…see edit) to train me on the lift and teach me how to do my rear brakes? I just took Automotive 101 on Wednesday. I really want to learn how to do brakes and one of my rear brakes just hit the metal indicator tonight and I need to drive it tomorrow night. I won’t need brakes again for awhile, so it’s now or who knows when. Ugh!

If anyone is available, please let me know. I’ll keep checking on here. There are a couple things we’ll need to be prepared for while doing the brakes, but I’ll discuss that with anyone that’s available.

This would be for a 2006 4Runner.

Jennifer

EDIT: Ok…so I’ve given up trying to get it done today. Is anyone free between sometime between now and Thursday to help me? I got some quotes to get it done today and the prices people charge here are insane. I want to do it.

Did you look up a workshop manual, bought parts for it yet?

So I found the manual online. I was going to buy the stuff if someone was able to help me.

So there are 2 possible complications that I could run into though. My generation 4Runner is know to have calipers freeze. This has happened twice when I’ve gotten brake jobs done, so I need to also find a place that has that part in stock just in case. The other possible complication is that one of my wheels has a stud that some mechanic/tire place cross threaded. Grrrrrr!!! I just can’t remember if it’s one of the rear wheels. So I would need to buy parts for that just in case.

You should just go ahead and get the parts from Oreillys or Autozone or Rock Auto whomever doesnt charge a restocking fee for when you have to return the parts.
Is the parking brake a drum in disc?

So the parking brake is disc.

Here’s the repair manual I found: http://www.ezdries.net/Vidpics/4Runner%20Repair%20Manual/2006/

regarding the Lift class, I was told…

“The Automotive Committee leadership no longer conducts one-on-one training to certify new users on the lift. There has been several issues with this process and the Board of Directors have encouraged us to conduct more classes, not to mention some lift trainers have directly accepted cash payments which is a policy we would like to avoid. Automotive 102 is designed to certify users on the Rotary 7,000 Automotive lift. Classes are generally scheduled every other week. Students may register and pay for this class via the DMS Class/ Event Registration system, and should never pay an instructor directly for a class.”

There is a Lift certification class tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, 26 June. It should show up on the calendar sometime on Sunday, 16 June.

The problem is I can’t keep driving my car for 11 more days when I’ve already hit the brake indicator and I’m not paying $500 for a brake job on my rear brakes.

If someone is willing to teach me how to change my own brakes and is willing to hit the up/down switch on the lift, that’s fine with me and I’ll sign up for the class that is in 11 days. I would never give someone the $20 directly because who knows what they’re going to do with it.

Thanks Fred, I look forward to taking this class

I think we took Auto 101 together so I can’t be of much help. But have you considered doing it with just jack stands? Is there a way to eliminate the need for the lift? Just tossing out ideas since you want to get it done quickly.

I have no issue doing it with jack stands. I just still need someone to help walk me through the process since I’ve never done it myself before. My original thinking was to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Might be able to help either Monday or Tuesday after 7, won’t know until those days come around. I may or may not be able to stay long either, so I’m hesitant to outright volunteer.
Don’t want to have you to start something, and leave without finishing it up. :disappointed_relieved:

The job can be done using jack stands. May take a little longer, and a little more elbow grease

The possible stripped studs is going to be an issue though.

P.S.
This is a drum in disc.
Highlighted are the brake shoes.
The drum is integral to the disc( located on the under/in side of the disc in the section where the wheel stud holes go), and functions as the parking brake. Usually the norm for heavier vehicles. Lighter vehicles can get away with using disc brakes as parking brakes.

In the future, automotive has a few people who are quite willing to help work on your vehicle, but don’t go on talk often. Sometimes the best plan is to show up sometime around 8 with parts and see if anyone is around to help.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. So my emergency brake is another issue that I need to deal with, but it’s not as time sensitive. So awhile ago I got my emergency brake replaced because the old one was completely rusted out. Well…when it got replaced, I guess it wasn’t adjusted correctly, so it doesn’t actually brake. :roll_eyes: I need to adjust it so it works and my car won’t accidentally roll. LOL

What would probably be best is to get the car up and figure out which wheel has the cross threaded stud before starting anything. If it’s one of the rear wheels, I’ll just have to plan in the extra time. If it’s a front wheel, then I can deal with that a different time.

Look i only spend that $20 on booze and drugs i solemnly swear (hand to heart)

1 Like