BoD Candidate ?s: Justin Walker 202007

Justin Walker, @skyspook
Here are the questions collected on-line.
Currently, 50 questions are posted. You can reference the #1 or copy the question before your answer. Feel free to answer others questions as you wish.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MQqveZ8zbyGh_bpyS1LVNohvlW5xJPcHzZTKOzYl8hk/edit?usp=sharing

This is long. I’ve tried to answer at least the core of each question. I’ve combined several similar questions. Thanks for everyone’s patience as I worked through these. Feel free to ask more, or even challenge my answers. I also welcome PMs.

Thanks for the questions everyone, they gave me a lot to think about!

----

I’m open to any and all, as long as any strings do not bind us. We can’t be bound to take someone onto the board, produce products or content, etc. However, we should definitely be exploring sponsorships and funding that both help reduce our operating costs, and perhaps fund new projects and opportunities.

As far as I understand it, the honorarium system was put in place to encourage teaching, and my opinion is that it does not work for funding committees. These need to be budgeted, with some sort of input to proper level (need, membership usage, etc.). I am open to revisiting honorariums, classes, and that structure, starting from our base assumptions to build a system that accomplishes what we actually want – a strong base membership, regular and interesting classes, and well-maintained committees.

Given the numbers that I’ve seen presented, we cannot sustain the payouts we had previously. However, revisiting and expanding that program is possible, but needs to be done carefully and with purpose.

This next year is crucial, as we as a society are in flux. We need to be nimble and I don’t believe we’re going to be able to plan out very far. We should cautiously flesh out the moves that have occurred with the expansion and look to stabilizing membership, classes, and committee needs.

In the medium term and long term, my own passion is for outreach and community involvement. I’d like to see more inter-committee events and projects, external outreach and events, and spreading what the “maker movement” started as – spreading what is possible with education, access to tools and knowledge, and a small spark of innovation.

The membership number could be scary if you look at numbers without context. If you look at our current net income, you’ll also see that we’re up $51,0000 more year-to-date over 2019. The membership numbers has started to stabilize and go up earlier this year, although we didn’t have enough time to prove that changes to tours and the impending expansion had a lasting effect.

While I will keep membership number in mind, it is not the end-all be-all. Reasons for departures, surveying incoming new members, our balance sheet, and general membership surveys I believe would give a better context.

Really, I want to get to a recurring data that answers the base of this question: Is the space healthy and is it serving the membership. I enjoy finding parameters that help measure things like this, and I would make a point to find some for us beyond just membership numbers.

Unfortunately our current statistics are rather basic, but the downward trend started before honorarium changes and the current board, but did start around the raise in rates. My deduction is that this started a rise in the amount of churn, which DMS was unable to overcome with normal membership acquisition. If we want membership numbers to climb, creating events and classes will help, as well as the outreach we had started to do along with improved membership services. However, if we really want to get good at this, we’ll need more data to understand if what we’re doing actually has an effect. Any good statisticians in the house?

There are a few underlying assumptions here.

There are multiple types of volunteering, and multiple needs. So, are we not fulfilling our current needs? Are we having issues with an overarching needs, or are there committees that are struggling to maintain their areas or equipment?

I don’t know the answer to those questions… yet. I’m sure some of you have examples for me and I will welcome them. There are multiple actions that can be taken depending on what the issue is. This could be simple recognition programs, additional privileges, or even rewards programs (where legal) that could encourage people to volunteer. Even just making it easier to volunteer and know what needs done would help, as I see that as a common complaint.

Everything. Honestly, my fun is in learning something I know nothing about. Currently, I’m practicing welding and machining, as I’ve never done it.

I love teaching, especially to those where it opens new possibilities. My favorite thing in the world is watching someone’s knowledge expand, and suddenly they get an “aha” moment – where a new world has opened up for them. I’m looking forward to teaching in automotive, woodshop, laser, and perhaps metal and machine once I’m comfortable with my skills.

No, given the evidence as shown, I would not currently reverse any decisions of the previous board. If new evidence came to light, I would entertain that.

Unfortunately, a lot of what we’ve seen is just the end of what are longer processes. We don’t see a lot of the deliberations. We don’t see the hearings where these folks have stated their cases (unless they have invited us). We have to trust that those we have elected have made appropriate decisions.

I am not one for immediately banning except in egregious cases. Mistakes happen, and poor judgement happens. Reparations can be made and behavior corrected. We’ve all transgressed in the past.

However, if a member is breaking rules and refuses to adhere to our basic code of conduct, this is detrimental to an organization. It undermines the membership as a whole and undermines our rules and codes by only applying to some and not others.

This, ultimately, is why these are business decisions – ill behavior of a member can affect the membership as a whole. While this process could be offloaded to a disciplinary committee, these hearings will still need to happen and some process still needs to be in place. I have not had great experiences with discipline by committee, but I know it has been done.

To address the 8 complaints that were dismissed, the reasoning was given that they were complaints from Talk behavior that was addressed with moderator action and no other action was needed. While some more transparency may be given in such a circumstance, I don’t know if it would help and what information would be allowed. If anyone has ideas on how to deal with a large amount of frivolous complaints, I’m all ears.

I will say, however, that if the behavior itself is not a problem, then rules can be revisited. However, I’ve seen no instances of that yet.

If we want to have DMS exist, yes, we must report egregious behavior to the board and perhaps directly to authorities. If I serve on the board, and I note any member, board or not, stealing or embezzling from us, I will absolutely report them. I would expect the same of anybody.

If a theft is an honest mistake and immediate reparations are offered, I believe the consequences should be meted appropriately. If it is willful, if a member poses an immediate threat to health or safety, we should act.

I visited before shutdown and assisted infrastructure plan for shutdown, moving some equipment, etc. I was not as available during startup due to covid-related work, but part of things was also staying out of the way and letting committees and current board figure things out. I have been working with infrastructure to get computers installed, cables run, etc. now that things are open.

I don’t volunteer for one committee… so I don’t have my committee.

I have been active in the following areas and done some volunteering in the last 8 months:

• Metal Shop
  • Machine Shop
  • Automotive
  • Wood Shop
  • Electronics
  • Laser
  • Science
  • Infrastructure
  • Logistics
  • Membership

I give tours, so I’ve probably signed up several dozen myself, and given tours to a couple hundred in the beginning of the year.

I follow Servant Leadership Tenets

And strive to use those points as a guide. I have, for the past decade, been studying and practicing leadership in small to large organizations. I think the following points are especially important for DMS’s current climate:

• Healing – There have been a number of changes to the organization in the couple of years, and some are feeling a bit unsure and perhaps slighted by them.
  • Conceptualization – We need some more “great things” and guiding lights for us all to work towards.
  • Commitment to the growth of People – A passion of mine. I love watching people learn and grow. It’s why I got involved.

There are matching skills that go along with these – the ability to think strategically and apply that strategy, resilience, active listening and similar skills, the ability to both have crucial conversations with people, but to also no shrink back from especially hard ones, but to do so with an open mind. The corollary, unfortunately, is also knowing how and when to hold others accountable for adverse actions and promise that are unmet.

A leader is not the boss. They do not order, but know how to delegate. They have strong ideas and ideals, but know how to put them aside when need be. They do not use I, but “we” and “us”, except when to take blame.

I know some cringe at “business talk”, but I like watching Simon Sinek explain why “Leaders eat last” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRcHdeUG9Y

The board is first and foremost responsible for keeping the organization existing. This means assessing the risks and benefits of any action. I agreed with how the current board navigated the recommendations and orders from the local, state, and federal governments and from health organizations as well. There is still a lot up in the air legally over a business being responsible for an outbreak at their physical location, but with the due diligence we have done I believe we’re fulfilled our duty of care and lowered risks not only to our membership, but to our organization as well.

I don’t believe this would be cost-effective. There are some auto-mod technologies we may explore, and some tech that allows for cross-mod validation so that one mod doesn’t hold absolute power. However, if there are issues with a specific mod then it needs to be made known and handled

As with any conflict of interest, it depends on the particular circumstances. The range of actions could range from do nothing, having them abstain from certain actions, or removal from the election or position, depending on what it is. Sometimes it’s enough to announce that it exists, so that it is visible.

Neither. The board exists to guide and shepherd, the committees exist to do. There is a balance that exists, and I would look for ways to enhance the balance, rather than give one side more or less power.

I leave this in the hands of our moderators. It’s a thankless job and they try to balance between freedom of expression and civility. I’ve heard the complaints of talk being a “cesspool”, and I’ve noted that in quite a lot of online communication – It’s easy to read in tone that isn’t meant, take things the wrong way, and fly off the handle in an online discourse.

Thus, I take Talk with a grain of salt. However, I’ve also had in-person meetings that have gone beyond anything I’ve seen on talk. Some folks do not have great emotional regulation and it’s a leader’s job to not only understand that, but work with it.

Yes. As far as I’m aware, all meetings are open except for disciplinary meetings. I’m hoping that emergency meetings won’t be needed much (which come without announcement), but that all depends on circumstances.

I will warn that I believe in orderly run meetings. I’ve adopted modified Robert’s Rules for similar open meeting in other organizations, and would recommend similar if we find it’s needed (I also don’t like to make rules unless they’re required)

I assume this is for the amendment that required 10% of voting membership to formally put forth a bylaw change. This is actually in line with Texas law for calling a special meeting - you need to have 10% of the voting membership present, so it makes sense to make sure 10% of people are vested (Sec 22.155)

I also see that one could ask the Board to entertain a bylaw change as well, giving another avenue for a member to propose a change.

I take no umbrage to having some work done to gain support of amendments, especially when 2/3 of voting members must approve of them.

I’m a big proponent of public reach-out, especially to those that may not be knowledgeable of the maker movement, or may not be able to afford tools and education. That is a passion of mine.

There are ways for us to be involved with different community and national ventures, collaboration and education opportunities, etc.

I wouldn’t be able to do all of that myself, but if there is a contingent interesting in exploring those aspects of what our community could do, I’m happy to move these ideas into reality.

By-laws can only be changed with a membership meeting, and those must have a notification… so I’m unsure of what this question is asking.

QuickBooks is open to any member that wants read access, and Brad has had regular meetings where chairs can ask directly for balances or for help looking through QuickBooks. The treasurer is there for that purpose and I would encourage any chair to immediately seek their assistance if they do not know their finances.

I do not see any bans called for in the finance policy. If there is misconduct, it triggers the same procedures in place for any disciplinary issue.

Communication, consensus building, and a lot of “soft skills”. I don’t believe these beliefs and feelings are too difficult to overcome. However, DMS will not always be a place where everyone always gets along.

Passionate people, such as a lot of makers, are going to disagree and usually do so passionately. It’s up to leadership to help direct folks and set appropriate expectations for engagement, and then enforce those expectations.

There is no magic spell I can weave nor mystical “community” potion I can brew, but I can put in work to make sure people are heard and we work together in the best ways we know how.

I ended up working 60-80 hour weeks morphing my company’s core business to include electronic delivery and communication. We did in 6 weeks what some thought would take 3 years.

Now that that’s cooldown, I’m getting back into things with DMS, some of my own projects (picked up a VR headset, rebuilt some home servers, etc) and assisting with my partner’s business.

This is illegal and would be reported to the appropriate authorities.

Could be illegal depending on usage and I enjoy using a “not deliverable as addressed” stamp.

I have been attempting to assist the space overall during COVID where possible. I’ve been doing some research and initial planning on some events that can be held when safe to do so, and trying to get some together that may be done remotely.

A stranger is a friend you haven’t met yet.

I assume this question is over community vs. consumerism. And really, the fight there is about entitlement. To move against this, it’s important to both empower and include others, and push back when someone feels entitled to another’s time and effort.

Unilaterally, no. However, chairs generally have elevated privileges in order to transact committee business. The committee itself could grant the chair the ability to grant certain exemptions. For instance, No titanium is allowed in the metal shop except with an exemption, generally granted by the chair.

I believe this to be inappropriate behavior, though I also believe committees should be allowed to explore plans without immediate interference. So, secrets no, but discretion yes.

It’s a hard balance. We don’t want the learning curve to onboard new members to be too hard, but we also don’t want to have too much documentation as it’s a burden and eventually a debt (having to keep up to date, etc.).

I think, especially with all the changes of the expansion, we do need to do a slightly better job to update our current documentation. The onboarding of new members may be made a bit easier as well with more linked information in the 411 guide. There were some efforts underway before COVID.

I have not examined any formal estimates, but given:

• Woodshop buildout and move
  • Laser refit and move
  • Metal shop expansion
  • Misc. additional doors and walls
  • Blacksmithing walls, buildout, and move
  • Automotive fume extraction, buildout, and move
  • Additional networking, electrical, plumbing

A SWAG estimate would be $150k, and may be over $200k. Some of these costs would be the responsibility of the committees, but I’m assuming overall cost. This would be less the more work we do on our own. I also reserve the right to also be completely wrong about this, as I don’t have the history nor have I examined current plans. I will make it a priority to do so.

To the membership, yes. To one member’s whims, no. Please see above for servant leadership.

I am well aware of my presentation as a cis white middle-aged male. I try to do all in my power to make things equitable for those around me, and I’m always open to ideas. I especially like the Nation of Makers Core Principals (Nation of Makers Core Principles)

I am not an expert in divsersity, but I attempt to make the places I am responsible for welcoming and safe to all, especially those that normally experience prejudice and bias. This is one place you will find me humorless - punching down on those that we are trying to welcome will not pass me by.

If you have ideas, or there is anything I can do to amplify someone else’s voice, please feel free to PM or let me know in person.

6 Likes