Board of Directors Election 2015

It is once again time for the annual Board of Directors election.

In order to vote in the election or run for the Board of Directors, you must be a voting member. Members eligible for voting rights are those that have been members in good standing for at least 3 months and who are on the Standard or Starving Hacker rate. Members who are on the $10 family member add-on or a Corporate Membership are not eligible. Voting will be held online using our voting system, please check to ensure that you can login prior to the election:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/voting/

How do I request voting rights?

If you are elligible for voting rights and wish to request them, please send an email to either [email protected] or [email protected] before voting begins. Please note, you may request or drop voting rights at any time, but our bylaws require at least 1/3 of all voting members to be present for a membership meeting (or board vote) to be held. As such, please relinquish voting rights if you do not plan on voting and attending membership meetings (held on the 2nd Thursday of each month).

Please note:
It takes time for us to verify you are eligible for voting rights and to add you to the system, so please do not wait until the last second to request voting rights.

Additionally, once your ballot is cast it can not be changed.

When is voting?

Voting begins on Thursday, April 9th at 7pm and ends the following Thursday (April 16th) at 7pm.

What about running for the Board of Directors?

If you wish to run for the Board of Directors, you must submit a Statement of Intent before March 31st at 11:59pm. The following criteria apply for submitting your Statement of Intent:

• Create a wiki page with the title “2015 [Firstname] [Lastname] Statement of Intent”
  • Somewhere on the page, include who nominated you.
  • At the bottom of the page, include the following text “[[Category:Statements_of_Intent]]”, this will add the page to the appropriate category.

Feel free to use my previous SOI as an example:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Andrew_LeCody_Statement_of_Intent_2014

If you have any questions about the election process please ask in this thread.

1 Like

Here is a helper link for members wanting to keep track of the current candidates running for board.
Current Candidates

The link is just a search on the wiki, because going to the statement of intent category is a bit confusing with all the old statements. @AndrewLeCody We could modify the category header to include the year, this would sort the relevant pages together. I could fix the posts already on the wiki, and you could adjust your post on this thread. Does that sound like a good idea? Or am I introducing some kind of complexity that you want to limit?

Thanks,
Nick Sainz

Can a message be sent through the announcement list to all the members to inform them of the election? Also inform them that they need to request voting rights and that they are not given automatically.

I would also reference this page in that email as well.

Thanks,

@Nick, sure. Feel free to reorganize it.

@AlexRhodes, I’ve sent an e-mail out to the list.

1 Like

It looks like the voting system is open!

1 Like

And in case you lost the URL to vote it is here
(And it is in the top message from Andrew, but some
folks might not use the scroll function :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )
https://dallasmakerspace.org/voting/

2 Likes

So far 32 members have voted in the election. We currently have 105 voting members, which places our quorum requirement (1/3 of voting members) at 35. If you are a voting member and have not yet cast you vote, please do so before Thursday at 7pm. Ideally, cast your vote now, you don’t want to realize at 6:45pm on Thursday that you don’t remember your password.

1 Like

I will definitely be voting! I have tested my login and confirmed that I am able to log into the voting system successfully! Thanks for the very important reminder!!! :smile:

I haven’t voted yet, because I have a couple questions I will be posting (probably later tonight) for the candidates since I didn’t get an opportunity to participate in the meet the candidates event or the most recent members’ meeting due to my work schedule.

(Have I mentioned how great it would be to have these events and important meetings streamed - or at the very least recorded! That way those of us who can’t be physically present still have an opportunity to participate - or at least “see/hear” what went on! smiles)

Thanks!!!
:smile:

1 Like

23 hours remaining, about 50% eligible voter turnout so far

As of right now, 51 of the 105 voting members have cast a vote.

I had some questions I typed up earlier and was going to post during my 2nd break; but… :confused:

Fixin to do my taxes right now though… Then I guess I’ll vote - based on what was submitted on each candidate’s Statement of Intent, since I didn’t have time to post the questions before it got too close to the end of the race; and, I didn’t have the opportunity to participate in any of the meetings due to my work schedule and the fact that the meetings are not broadcast in any way… (I sure hope this next year at least brings better solutions for enabling better access to meetings for ALL who may be interested in them - regardless of their ability to be physically on-site at the time of the meetings… /fingerscrossed)

I just mailed my taxes, now time for a pool ternament and voting in morning.

2 Likes

Got my taxes filed… Sorta sad… Same job. Made about a hundred bucks less, getting about a hundred bucks less on my return… Being an adult is NOT as fun as it was supposed to be! :stuck_out_tongue:

… guess I’ll go ahead and vote now ~ that way I won’t have to worry about SQUIRREL!!! … missing the opportunity tomorrow… :wink:

Being an adult, not exactly what it was advertised to be when I was a kid. Can I get a refund?!?

2 Likes

Considering yourself an adult, possibly a clear sign you are still a child. :slight_smile: This adult stuff sucks.

I have suggested that A/V (now, Digital Media) take that responsibility. I know, committees generally don’t run projects (except for Ops), but I see Digital Media as something like Ops, by providing the recording service for all classes and events. So far, my idea hasn’t had a lot of traction.

ETA: I tried logging in to vote, but I am told that my user name or password is not valid. Perhaps I am not eligible to vote? I can log in to my billing info and this forum.

1 Like

@Opcode you might need to request voting rights.

2 Likes

FWIW -

something strange with voting - maybe just a poor wording of user text for a page timeout?

I had the voting page open for a while, then finally hit vote and received this screen

:anguished:

that didn’t seem right, so refreshed the page, tried again, and got this confirmation

and then also this confirmation

I like the “your vote has been cast” message much better…

The black-hole is a security feature, each page load (with a form) has a unique token on it. The token expires after 30 minutes, or after it’s used once. Examples of things that can trigger a black-hole:

• Leaving the page open for a long period of time and then submitting. Simply refresh, then try again.
  • Submitting a vote but then hitting the back button on the confirmation screen, instead of clicking cancel. Again, just refresh and submit.

I have the security stuff setup on a hair-trigger for the voting system.

1 Like