Bluing and flattening metals

I am looking into coloring metals like steel and aluminum via heat and/or chemistry to use for pickguards on custom guitars. I wanted to see if the makerspace has the facilities to heat small/thin metal parts evenly to the bluing point, and what classes I need to take to accomplish this?

Also, I have several old license plates I want to flatten and trim for the same purpose, are there rollers or maybe a pneumatic press I can use for this?

1 Like

I don’t think that is something that you can do at DMS as the oil part is the step you cannot do. It’s a fire hazard.

1 Like

The blue part should be pretty easy after the plate is cleaned and polished, put it in the oven at someplace between 400 and 450 deg F for an hour should do it.

1 Like

There are several techniques for bluing steel, some of which use oil, some of which don’t. The blacksmith folks might be willing to assist with oil bluing since they use oil quenching, I believe.
Other techniques, like those employed by the Clickspring videos, are probably more likely to be employed by our Jewelry/Small Metals folks.
Some random links

As for flatteng license plates… I’ve no idea outside of the English wheel…