Blind hole puller and arbor press

Well we can refer to you as “Old George” to acknowledge you primacy and seniority … would that make you feel better? :wink:

1 Like

daaaaaang you Tories play dirty.

1 Like

p[quote=“slinkygn, post:22, topic:39960”]
“it’s never the rear main seal?
[/quote]

George (old George),

Your “newer” bucket us exempt from my statement. Just like the modern automotive engineers going for cheaper high tech ways to save a fraction of a penny (Euro) on today’s production lines that fail miserably in the real world and keep independent garages in business. One such item would be the rear main seal on many Audi & VW products using a worthless ptfe seal in a stamped sheetmetal cover.

This may save the manufacturer a in production but often loses customers to other brands after learning that a part that should not fail - fails all the time and requires the transmission to be removed to repair.

Worthless design - but the aftermarket came to the rescue using what? An off the shelf “vintage” seal with a spring in it the lip from known reliable non failing VW part number and a cnc machined aluminum housing similar to the way they used to be when the rear main seals did not leak. A complete bolt on resolution.

2 Likes

Well, I’m very glad to hear you say that!
…because I’ve gutted that thing looking for an oil leak, and either something is throwing oil in very strange patterns or damned if it isn’t that @#$% rear main seal…
Kind of kills the sigh of relief I had when I found I wouldn’t have to remove the entire trans. Oh, well. Anybody wanna help me remove a tranny from a BMW on jack stands? :wink: ( :frowning: )