Blind hole puller and arbor press

Hey guys planning on doing a transmission clutch this weekend. Just wondering if we have a blind hole puller and an arbor press?

Thanks

1 Like

Not sure what either of those tools are, however I know we have all the tools needed for a manual transmission clutch uninstall / install. I’ve done 3 at the space now.

1 Like

Yes Machine Shop has 2 arbor presses.

1 Like

I’ve been around cars and garage gear a long time and have no idea what a “blind hole puller”(unless you mean a blind hole bearing puller-as the Americans say it) …Arbor press yes - there is a giant one in the machine shop…

What sort of transmission clutch are you “doing” if I/we may ask?

1 Like

Hey Tom, Yeah. blind hole bearing puller. Transmission is a Gentrag on an e46

1 Like

I presume you mean slide hammer? This one has an internal puller on it.

Hi George - I thought that may be you…

What year is the E46? or last 7 of the VIN?

When will you and Alex be doing the clutch?

1 Like

Hey Tom, He’s busy but its a 2004 and the VIN is pg97641. Hopefully if all the parts come in tonight well be up there tomorrow morning to tackle it.

1 Like

Are you keeping the stock flywheel ?
Replacing it with a new one ?
Or going with a new single mass clutch kit?
Will you be replacing the rear main seal and the input shaft seal as well?

1 Like

yes we are keeping the stock flywheel and we are replacing it
keeping the stock dual mass clutch (of course replacing it with a new one)
replacing the rear main seal and the input shaft seal

1 Like

So we’re replacing the original flywheel with a new LUK Dual Mass Flywheel.

That slide hammer should work.

1 Like

Outstanding!

That flywheel is the expensive part at about $475

Make sure you guys read the tech notes on the installation of that clutch - regarding the pressure plate!

1 Like

260 at rockauto

Do you have the tech notes?

1 Like

Bavarian has the best description. Hopefully Rock auto sold you the tool as well.

https://blog.bavauto.com/11334/bmw-self-adjusting-clutch-sac-diy-how-to-replace/

I used to get calls from “professional techs” that phucked up more BMW pressure plates because they they didn’t know what they were doing.
Read the article and do the job one time.

The key is to mount the pressure plate / clutch disc assembly to the flywheel BEFORE you remove the shipping plate.

3 Likes

Leave it to the Germans to build a better mousetrap that can’t distinguish between mice and non factory techs.

1 Like

Centering tool? Yeah that was included with the clutch kit. :smiley:
I saw the bavauto video. This article will help.

non-factory tech are mice. Problem solved.

2 Likes

and this is the tool that came with the kit

1 Like

blind hole bearing puller

2 Likes

Pilot bearing puller :wink:

1 Like

waitasec, you tellin’ me I leave for a few weeks and all of the sudden there’s another BMW George? No respect, I tell ya, no respect!
EDIT: and may I add, @TLAR, what ever happened to “it’s never the rear main seal?” :wink:

1 Like