Black Walnut Limbs

I plan on making pairs of quarter sawn slabs through the middle of the log. The straight growth rings will provide interesting grain (I hope) and some stability re: warping.

I plan to keep the sapwood and the heartwood (since the pieces are relatively small) and cut blanks from either side of the center. Adjacent slabs should provide bookmatched patterning.

My plan:

• cut log in half on bandsaw. Remove outer wane on tablesaw or bandsaw (TBD).
  • flatten face on jointer
  • quarter each half
  • joint the sawn face
  • cut two bookmatched slabs from each quarter (band saw or perhaps table saw if small enough and/or we have a tall fence).
  • if enough wood remains, repeat on other face of quarter.
  • repeat for other three quartersawn pieces

Shorter is OK but not great for jointing - will have to verify min length for the big jointer (assuming itā€™s working - was down earlier this week). Fallback is to cut as straight as possible and then sand. flat is important, but 90 jointing is not a requirement, as the scales will be rounded off in use on the knives anyway.

1 Like

If thereā€™s any more left, Iā€™d love to grab some!

There is a very tiny inner part of my brain the size of a pea, itā€™s says STOP with the wood already you have enough!!

But the rest of my brain says if you have a good size chunk left Iā€™ll be happy to take it!

2 Likes

Be at DMS in about 30 minutesā€¦ In the Common Roomā€¦ Home.