Black Walnut Limbs

My black walnut shed two branches from the storm. The larger is 14" circumference; the smaller 8". Any turners interested?

I’d love the 8" one to try some bowls.

The 8" is circumference (~2.5" diameter). A bowl that would fit in the palm of your hand.

Still interested?

Edited as I learned to read circumference and not length or diameter, duh…

2 Likes

Yessir I would be interested in a piece or 2 if any are left.

Post snipped after…

But just I have to leave this…

Oh man! You’re killing me! Tomorrow is Pi Day!

What’s a good length? (I have not broken them down yet.)

1 Like

for the larger one, bowl blanks would be maybe 3-4 inches on an 14" circumference (4.4 diameter). granted I’m fine with longer and could cut them down on the band saw myself.

for the 2.5 inch diameter ones (8" circumference), I’d cut those at 12-16 inch long spindles. again, I’m good breaking down my own to save you some work.

and Thank You!

Edit, saw that they’re in circumference… sorry. have edited my words above.

1 Like

Does 16" fit on our lathes?

yes, the smaller lathes have an 18" bed length and the larger ones are about 32"

1 Like

In retrospect, maybe also cut the larger ones at 8-12 inches. if someone wanted to make a couple of smaller bowls then they could break down to 4x4 inch blanks, or if they wanted to make a larger thing then theyre ready to go. plus bonus its less work for you.

1 Like

If there is a 6" long piece of the larger log left over after you cut out the bowl pieces, I’d like it to possibly cut some knife scales.

Were the tree branches still alive or is this old, dead wood?

1 Like

The tree is just coming out of dormancy so the branches are currently dry. There is some borer damage. In the Fall the tree was reasonably healthy with just a handful of small dead branches. I believe the two broken branches were frisky this Fall.

1 Like

About a dozen pieces ready for delivery. @indytruks138, @Lordrook, @HankCowdog, and anyone else interested, when will you next be at DMS?

1 Like

I probably wont make it until next week unfortunately. I’d still like a piece to play around with but if others grab them it’s no worries. Thanks man!

I’ll be there mid afternoon on Friday (tomorrow as I write this). In sewing class @6:30.

How are those cut from a log? Plain, quarter, rift, something else? Is bigger diameter better or longer length?

I’ll set two aside for you.

1 Like

Hey Brian, I would like a slice. either branch. something 1.5* the diameter to spin a small live edge bowl.
thanks!

Will you be around tomorrow?

undetermined. good chance though. I am trying to convince the boys to spend part of their spring break there, lol.
I will be there Sat evening for a couple of classes.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks Brian!

I’ll be there this evening, 6-? and Sunday morning for about an hour 9-10 ish.