Black bus to be towed?

should do before the rain…
(kidding)

Thoughts on using something like https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Eater-AOD1G35437-Cleaner-Degreaser/dp/B000EALHHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412885349&sr=8-1&keywords=oil+eater ?

Don’t have any experience with oil spills personally

Well, after 2 months sitting DOA, perhaps its time to discuss junking it out.

At minimum, hire a tow truck to pull it to storage. But after 2 months, its time to go. ASAP.

1 Like

Fixed that for you!
:blankspace:

1 Like

Did you miss the thread where they got it going?

1 Like

Also posted in this thread…

The bus is now fully operational… mostly.

3 Likes

As of Saturday, the steering was non-functional.

So what we have is:

1. Free vehicle
  2. Not drivable after 8 months (or so)
  3. Continued presence in parking lot has made hypocrites out of the Board
  4. Pissing off membership
  5. No clear plan for it
  6. Money pit - monthly storage fee, parts, insurance, etc.
  7. Negative value equation.

I’m not deriding the original decision to take it, nor the work various people have put into it. Seizing opportunities is a generally good thing. But sometimes it just doesn’t work out. This one clearly isn’t working out, and we should cut our losses.

2 Likes

Free is never free.

If DMS needs a vehicle for PR, Events, etc… why not just buy a new van or. Get a vhicle that can be relied upon and not an “eyesore project” that never seems to work and is a money pit. The Bus is far from being safe and functional. It will ALWAYS need to be worked on. Just not reliable.

I would say if a member wants it. Give it to them or sell it for $1. Let them store it and build/repair it on their dime and not the members money.

It’s time for DMS to move beyond old junk to new equipment like this:

IMG_0225

Or this:

IMG_0226

1 Like

We need a box truck or a one ton truck more than anything else if we’re talking about spending money on a vehicle of our choosing.

3 Likes

Before defining the type of vehicle we need, I suggest that we define what we need it to do first. Agree upon the goal, then determine the proper tool.

5 Likes

I’ve never used THAT stuff, so I say go for it!
Let’s find out…

I HAVE used the Tide trick. It works. Sorta. Sometimes.

What’s the current operability status (i.e. why the “mostly” modifier)?

(I ask because it seems like Tapper has decided to jump in, now that it APPEARS to be mostly on track and take it down by ignoring the massive progress from largely immobile to largely mobile, thus negating items 2 and 3 from his list. Can’t fix Item 4. Someone’s always going to be upset. Item 1 doesn’t need addressed. Item 5 was, I thought, already addressed when the Motorsports Committee was approved by the BOD. Item 6 is true for everything we do. Item 7 is debatable. I’m hoping to see Tapper recuse himself from any voting on the Motorsports committee and/or the 'SpaceBus in the future, now that he’s decided to become clearly partial…)

Couldn’t agree more. However, we all know there is no SINGLE goal, and, thus, this shall be stillborn. But yeah, a passenger van doesn’t really seem like the best fit for any of the major goals we might have. Fortunately, the 'SpaceBus is no longer that.

As of Monday, the steering is functional.

So what we have is:

1. ??
  2. It’s now drivable! woo
  3. Presence in the parking lot is supported by two board members
  4. Membership is now happy! All parking spaces are available.
  5. Clear plan for remaining state requirements and event requirements.
  6. Storage fee is there regardless for the blacksmithing cart? My understanding is basically we have two spaces, we keep a car there and either the bus or the blacksmithing trailer? I don’t think there’s any additional cost.
  7. Currently exists as a ~$6000 asset for the Makerspace based on craigslist postings for the same vehicle. https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1999-ford-econoline-rv/6188343216.html
3 Likes

Well as far as I know we only have two current goals for such a vehicle:

1. Tow blacksmithing trailer
  2. Tow race car

The other issue in solving this is how often this needs to be done. Unless, a lot more frequently then I suspect, we can rent a vehicle (and its required insurance) when we need it. Much lower cost all around.

2 Likes

I can’t argue with that! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We have a single semi trailer size spot. Both items fit in the space at the same time. Currently the blacksmith trailer is there.

1 Like

We started to pay them $200 for two spots.

2 Likes