cool updateā€¦
how does a steering gear turn backward?

Expected
Input Shaft => Clockwise
Output Shaft => Counter-clockwise

Actual
Input Shaft => Clockwise
Output Shaft => Clockwise

Iā€™m assuming the gearbox is meant for a different engine configuration. Not sure.

There are some rumors online about that being due to a incorrect power steering line setup, however that was all disconnected.

1 Like

@LukeStrickland, thanks for working on the bus!

3 Likes

Talked to Chuck, weā€™re going to purchase a correct box tonight at 6PM if anyone wants to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be darned.
Found another person with the same issue.
http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/replaced-steering-box-steering-backwards-now.14360/
Have to confess never having run into that one before. Never paid any attention. Lucky I didnā€™t FUBAR something, probablyā€¦

and another
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98543
funny how insistent folks are that itā€™s the linesā€¦

1 Like

Best I remember is you canā€™t get the lines crossed. They will only fit one way.

1 Like

#1 youā€™re right, in my expereience, but weā€™ve already established thatā€™s pretty limited.
#2 even if you can, wellā€¦ thatā€™s not how power steering works. We donā€™t really have ā€˜steer by wireā€™ so itā€™s all mechanical. The hydraulic part just puts pressure into the system. If you dump pressure into one side or the other, it doesnā€™t really mater because the valves, which are linked to the wheel, are what determines which way the assist happens, not the other way aroundā€¦
Anyway. Even if you COULD hook them up backward, I donā€™t think any ā€œnormalā€ cars would reverse steering direction due to the hydraulic pressure of the steering assist.
Here are some videos:

You can see for yourself how it wouldnā€™t matter which port you fed the pressure intoā€¦
But still, I donā€™t think you CAN do that. Usually the high pressure is much smaller than the low pressure.

Power steering boxes use a PISTON :open_mouth: thatā€™s super cool.

1 Like

A piston that has a scroll cut into it with about 18-20 ball bearings.

Steering racks are the same, but more straightforward

2 Likes

It is moved. I put kitty litter on the power steering spill and forgot about it and left. Iā€™ll be back tomorrow to broom it up.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be there around 10 or so. If not done, Iā€™ll throw some on it and let it ā€œsoakā€ while I have a class at 11:00~12:30. Then sweep up.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks! I did apply some but did not sweep it up.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll try to do it when I get there before my class.

Sweep up. Needs more cleaning though. Looks like rain so didnā€™t put any more down.

If the kitty litter wonā€™t soak any more up, grind it under your heel into the concrete and it will lift more out of the surface.

And if stain removal is the goal, once the stain is cleaned up, use Tide powder on the stain, let it set for awhile, then wet it and scrub it out. Thatā€™ll take care of a surprising amount.

1 Like

I did grind it in, but it has really soaked in

Problem is no water in back. Without ability to wash down dilute will be slip hazard.