Biosafety Hood is Here

Looking good, looking good. Had the Dream Team (@Eric_Brunner @MikeD @Bill @bgangwere) set up the hood in 30 minutes. Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!!

Forklift in Action

Blinded by the Light

9 Likes

Amazeballs! Can’t wait to see chicken embryos in a bag. :sweet_potato:

3 Likes

Nice, for the uneducated like myself, what do you do inside a biosafety hood?

With the biohood the chemhood… Science needs a shirt & logo that says “Member Of The Hood”.

1 Like

A biosafety hood provides a clean environment to conduct biological experiments. The type we have provides laminar air flow, meaning air is pulled from the top, pushed down and outward to remove any dust particles in your work area. Our fume hood is for venting out noxious fumes. Having two separate hoods prevents contamination.

3 Likes

haha yes we could conjour up something like that.

Ah, so the safety is referring to the safety of the materials inside your experiment from contamination by workshop air.

Should pull down the laser air sensor mounted over the zing(its the easiest to reach) and place it inside the biosafety hood with it on to see what the particulate sensor reports (they are programmed to average data over 3 minutes and upload that data every 4 minutes, so could leave it inside for an hour or so and then look at data).

The workshop one (mounted on pillar above machine shop cabinets) averages about 18 ug/m^3, you can see the spikes when someone is doing something that generates dust/particulate.

2 Likes

WOW! Yea that’s a great idea! We are trying to keep the sliding glass closed while it’s off to keep the inside as sterile as possible. But If you want to place it inside there, lift the glass up a bit and let it run for an hour that would be fantasmic!

1 Like

Anyone can grab the sensor off the wall and put it in there, the air sensors are a DMS group project / asset that I’m trying to get more people involved with. (Should be able to lift it off 3d printed wall mount without having to unscrew it. 99% of the time I have unplugged the power from a Pi without corrupting the sd card. It boots up and starts running the logging automatically)

cool I’ll check it out thanks!

What kind of paint can I spray in it?

preferably bio-luminescent paint

Does that come in metalflake gold? I got some sprayin to do Eb! :slight_smile:

hehehee i can check but no guarantees lol

Ph34r! Gonna think this over a bit.

OK. I LITERALLY (properly used here) laughed out loud for that exchange…

“Science, straight outta the hood”

2 Likes

My eyes… You wrecked 'em…