Biodiesel class

Interestingly, the article linked states “diesel fuel” while other sources say it runs"heavy fuel oil". I haven’t seen “light crude” mentioned.

I think those “ounces” are weight, too, rather than volume, which may change those figures a bit. Wikipedia has a pretty nice write-up on it, with a lovely table of similar “figuring”. Can’t vouch for the accuracy unless I want to sharpen my pencil…

1 Like

You are right about the fuel oil. I read about one of these monsters that can run on some kind of light crude oil. There are videos of this thing starting up - pretty cool. It’s an engine that starts an engine that starts an engine . . . that cranks the big one. Sorry to get off topic but I love this stuff - Some old diesel tractors used that concept called a ‘pony engine’

3 Likes

To be fair, I think some folks use the phrase “crude oil” when they mean “heavy marine oil”. There appear to be about 100 different ways to say the same thing.

With ya there!
Been pondering the startup sequence on that monster ship motor…

probably less pollution than a Prius

contrary to popular tree hugging beliefs - ocean going cargo vessels tend to be more and more efficient in order to stay competitive.

2 Likes

It may be off topic, but thanks for sharing the old tractor video - vintage machinery is great!

1 Like

Automotive actually has an engine at the Space that could be used for your Biodiesel project…

1 Like

burning 104000 gallons of fuel produces huge amount of pollution regardless of whether the efficiency (which a a measure of how much useful work you get out of creating a given amount of pollution) is 100% or zero%.

A prius over its lifetime will not burn the 104000 gallons this thing burns in a day.

1 Like

The ocean going vessel and the prius are both cargo movers.
I’d still bet the ocean going vessel is more efficient and less “polluting” than the prius when comparing the amount of cargo (intended purpose) they carry relative to each other.

2 Likes

ah, you meant pollution per mile-ton moved, or something like that. Interesting way to look at it. Probably true.

4 Likes

Josh,

I believe I have most everything you need for testing it out. Unfortunately my knowledge of making biodiesel is limited.

I have a portable diesel generator \ light tower 110/220. The lights are not connected at this time, but I do have them. The engine is a 3 cylinder Kubota model D905 that runs great. Testing your Biodiesel would be as simple as disconnecting the existing fuel tank and connecting a small external fuel tank with your bio.

I also have a HPLC system I bought from UTSW, I believe it’s a working system , however I don’t have a column to test it out with. Last, I’m pretty sure I can get a 55 gal of waste vegetable oil,

2 Likes

Oh how the mighty have sealed their fates when that utterance has passed their lips.

4 Likes