Big High Density Foam Mold

Hi I am part of the Dallas Formula Racing Team at the University of Texas at Dallas,

I am part of the composites team and was tasked to do a one piece Front wing element. the mold required to make that part is 60 x 30 x 4 inches is there a machine big enough to make such a part at the Dallas Maker Space if I wanted to manufacture the mold from high density foam? and would I need training to use that machine?

I don’t think we’ve got anything to do high density foam molding, per se. We might be able to carve it out of a bigger block, but we couldn’t mold it.

The MultiCam can definitely handle the X and Y, not sure about the Z. As far as getting qualified, timeframe involved, and allowing the high density foam you would have to ask the MultiCam SIG guys.

Molds do not always have to be made in a single piece, either. This channel has some interesting stuff on mold making, composite forming, and using CNC in several ways to meet the objective, often blending with more old-school “cut-n-sand” to achieve the necessary shapes, like in this series

Love to see the results, and love even more to hear about how they’re achieved (failures included!). Good luck!

It was wooden, but another member has made large molds for composite airfoils with the multicam. I wasn’t involved but from what I saw they sliced the mold into thinner pieces that the multicam could handle and put dowel pins on the outside to help with alignment.

2 Likes

Screenshot 2022-06-25 225131

1 Like

Yeah I tried that last semester it didn’t work really well from an accuracy/ mounting/ bonding perspective due to a small budget so I figured one continuous mold would solve all those problems

1 Like

You could make your mold in sections, and then fix it together to make one big mold.

2 Likes

At the design envelope you’re requiring, multicam is the only machine that can possibly meet your spec, and even then it’s going to be a trick of developing clever machining strategies to work with the machine. You would need a medium to high level understanding of cnc to develop these strategies and protect the machine from crashing.

Simply put, there’s not enough space between the head and bed to fit your mold material and a singular bit large enough to cut the entire profile you want.

I know for a fact that several of the top FSAE and FSAE Electric teams develop molds by ‘slicing’ the file apart for machining and then reassembling it as mentioned above. It takes practice to get this right, alignment and post processing of the mold pieces is delicate but doable.

I also know of a few teams that do one shot molds like what you’re suggesting but they have partnerships with entities like GM or Boeing who give them building size CNCs to cut on.

Happy to chat more if you’d like some suggestions. I don’t personally have the time to guide you through developing strategies like I mentioned above. Others might, but I don’t know.

The one thing I will say with composites, is to practice it a lot. You’re going to burn a lot of parts to get it right. Make lots of small things to learn how to do it. Particularly if you’re doing infused and not pre-preg. All of that goes hand in hand with learning how to make the molds the best way possible so that you get the part you ultimately want. Make mistakes and fail fast. Good luck in Michigan (or which ever race you go to.)

3 Likes

Oh and yes you can cut HDF on the multicam. To a limit. But most molds for the size you’re suggesting use 15-20lb foam which will cut fine on the multicam.

1 Like

See this article from Kitplanes magazine:

The MultiCam SIG is basically a group of dudes who make hardwood furniture for their friends. You’re asking them to be responsible for you and to understand your goals and to help you achieve them, which very few people are qualified to do. If you mess up badly enough somebody will get hurt, and it’s not like y’all will be attending the same indie furniture trade shows.

The good news is, there’s a class and a formal checkout, which should be ready soon. In the meantime, you should just stick around here and answer all my annoying questions. Like, what does the mold look like, are any of the elements movable, what’s your layup schedule, what are the goals for the wing, and how do you plan to test the wing?

1 Like

Yeah I tried that last semester it didn’t work really well from an accuracy/ mounting/ bonding perspective

Do you have any pictures of it?

111942-763a4755dd6fd012b2332efb99989c48

1 Like

If the wing profiles are simple 2D curves (not compound curves) you might look into building a CNC hot wire foam cutter. They are popular with R/C aircraft builders.