Beware of Duracell Battery Leakage

I believe this is a fundamental problem with alkaline cells with very low current draw. Some manufacturers seal better (to higher pressure limits) but it’s better to leak at some point that to explode.

At one time someone had a design with crushable core that would cause the cell to fail electrically before it leaked, but batteries are a (capacity) numbers game and they couldn’t effectively sell the leak proof design at increased cost and a a 10-15% capacity reduction.

The thread that keeps on bumping…

Unless the device absolutely wants to see that nominal 1.5V open circuit that alkaline cells produce, I suggest low self-discharge NiMH cells (which are pretty much all NiMH cells on the market now). They’ll standby for 12+ months and offer superior high-current performance to alkaline. While they can leak, it’s a vanishingly rare occurrence relative to alkaline.

If you need maximum performance, long unattended operating life, or maximum reliability spend the money on Energizer lithium L91 AAs or L92 AAAs.

It’s been my experience that alkaline cells have been on a steady decline for decades now and leak without warning under a wide variety of conditions. Better makes, brands, sub-brands, SKUs, lots are less prone to failure but it’s always a die roll. Energizer, Duracell etc might have guarantees and some willingness replace damaged equipment but even if you don’t have to fight them on it you’re out a piece of gear.

The current draw in my applications may be low, but it is constant; clocks, smoke detectors, etc. I have a hard time believing the leakage is a safety feature, that is, it leaks instead of exploding.

Not a safety feature, just the cheap way out.

1 Like

I now use Energizer lithium primaries in everything I care about (portable radios, multimeters, etc.).

I did complain to Duracell about a maglite that got destroyed by their leaking batteries. They asked me how much it cost and they mailed a check.

1 Like