Best way to cut a straight line in 11ga steel plate?

I’ve had moderate success using the PlasmaCAM but it’s hard to line up and get perfectly straight lines, unless I am doing something wrong. I’m also not sure if we have a handheld plasma cutter or can use the one on the PlasmaCAM by itself?

I was thinking of a jig that could have a piece of angle iron as the straight reference surface and use a circular saw with a metal blade in it to achieve the cuts I’m looking for. I’m trying to stay away from a cutting wheel.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience on the best way to get something like this done?

Thanks!

1 Like

There’s a handheld plasma cutter. Use clamps to hold (or tack weld) a bar on the piece which you can use to drag the torch against to get a straight line.

3 Likes

You could use a circular saw with a abrasive wheel. Just setup a strait edge to ride along. 1/8 inch shouldn’t be too thick to cut this way.

1 Like

another

another

blade option

I think you’re on the right track…

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I broke down a 4x8 sheet of plate down to 2x4 sheets and trying to cut them across the width of the plasma cam table, but have to make two separate cuts as it doesn’t extend all of the way from edge to edge. It’s hard to line up since there’s not a laser guide.

I’ll most likely go to the circular saw route, but worried about the RPMs.

1 Like

Watch your blade rating vs. saw capability.
The one I posted is for a 5800RPM saw, so should be good for most any circular saw.
Of course, you can buy some that spin slower, and some that are meant for this purpose, but as long as you are mindful of proper technique it’ll work acceptably.

At the risk of being a Debbie-Downer, please DO NOT use any Woodshop tools for this, in particular the Festool circular saw. I believe we have utility circular saw in the 'Space somewhere?

Also, I didn’t catch the size of the pieces you will be using to cut from, but iof they are manageable, running them through the band-saw we use with metal in the machine shop with a fence appropriatly placed might also get you where you want to go.

1 Like

You can do it on Plasmacam. I’ve done it myself with full 4ft width, a few times. All the 4ft wide testing material for Plasmacam was cut that way.

1 Like

I rather assumed one would use one’s own circular saw for this, and expect a passel of question asking and tooth sucking if done @ DMS…

1 Like

@mblatz @jast yes, this will be a home activity. No festools will be harmed in the making of this.

1 Like