Best way to break down a sheet of plywood?

What method do you guys recommend for the beginning idiot woodworker to break down a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4" plywood into manageable parts that can be taken to the table saw?

I’ll be making a portion of a twin headboard out of the sheet – that portion is 39" x 32".

My initial thought was to cut the sheet in half, after which I could haul it over to the table saw. That first cut (halving the sheet) would not need to be precise, since I have more material than I need.

Assuming that’s a viable approach, what’s the best (easiest plus safest) method?

For me, the best way is to have it cut on the large saw at Lowe’s or Home Depot before I take it home and try to use my small table saw. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

jigsaw or festool track saw, depending.

2 Likes

Where my cut plan allows, I like to use a good fence and skill saw, (or the festool track saw) to beak down as the cut plan allows.

However, when the cut plan doesn’t have enough scrap to allow breaking down in advance, a 4x8 sheet can easily be done intact with a helper to catch each piece. I’ve personally done full sheets of 4x8 solo with out feed table and rollers.

I do advise a practice pass with the blade lowered and off to get a feel of what is required, and if everyone involved is comfortable. I also may be cheating by having 300 lbs of ballast built in.

1 Like

Simple approach is to use a circular saw (if you have one at home). Clamp a 2x4 onto it as a fence to get a straight line.

1 Like

With the jigsaw or track saw:

Clamp half to one of the big tables in the annex, and put sawhorses under the other half?

Or put it on the floor over some type of scrap sacrificial board?

Some other approach?

I have had good luck with the track saw. Use two tables and cut between them.

3 Likes

Brian’s right. Also, in your case, you mentioned making beds. If part of what you are doing is something curved, e.g. arching headboard or footboard, think jigsaw. If all you are doing is straight lines, think track saw. Also, sometimes, manhandling board up and onto tables can be a pain. If you have two or more sheets that you plan to cut down in same profiles/lines, line one on top of another on the floor and set track saw blade to just cut through top one, then switch 'em. You even then have your cut line laid out on next one…ta da!

Please watch video if you haven’t. I have watched it twice since we got the saw, once right before each time I used it. It is really good/instructive.

1 Like

[quote=“kbraby, post:4, topic:11947”]
[/quote] when dimentional drop off allows I have it done at HD/Lowes there. First cuts free then like 25 or 50 cents. Gets them small enough to handle. They good to about 1/4 to 5/16ths accuracy. Sometimes closer but contr count on it. When I can I give them 1/2".

Any kind of foamboard can be a useful sacrificial board. A few decent sized pieces on the floor to support a 4x8 sheet work well for me at home.

What jphelps said…a couple of long scraps that run perpendicular and across your cut line, so the cutoff piece doesn’t drop and hit your toe…

Pleased to report that with the help and direction of @mblatz, I was successfully able to cut down my plywood today. I used the Festool track saw to cut the sheet into manageable pieces, before taking the working piece to the table saw for the final cuts. As @Brian_Eaton suggested, I used two tables in the annex and cut between them.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. It’s a great feeling to get so many helpful responses. The DMS collective is a very big brain. And an excellent (to one another) brain, as well.

5 Likes