Best Program to Learn and Use

I have recently taken or will take classes for Shapeoko, Laser, 3D Printing, and Plasma Cutter. Will Inkscape work for all of these? What file extensions is each machine looking for? Is there anything on the Jump Server I should be learning?

What’s the next step up from Inkscape, preferably free?

InkScape is good for 2D (laser, plasma). It uses SVG files natively and can export many others.

I believe the Shapoko gcode generator uses dxf files, but I’m not really familiar with it, sorry. Perhaps others can comment.

Laser
—-
Lightburn can import SVGs.

RdWorks can import .ai (Adobe) or .dxf files. I used to convert svg to ai using Adobe Illustrator. Now I just use Lightburn and SVGs directly.

Plasma
—-
Uses dxf. You can export dxf from InkScape or Adobe Illustrator.

3D printers (FDM and resin)
——
For 3D, you’ll need 3D modeling. TinkerCAD (web-based) is an easy intro. WYSIWYG, and it has primatives (squares, cones, cylinders, et al) which you can manipulate after placement.

If you like programming, consider writing scripts in OpenSCAD. This is good for parametric models and is the basis for Thingiverse’s Customizer. Downloading a Customizer model and reviewing the code is a good way to learn new tricks.

Fusion360 is another option for 3D, albeit with a lot more power and a correspondingly much harder learning curve. It’s a good gateway for CAD/CAM, too.

3D files have to be “sliced” to convert into the low level GCode used by the printers. STL is the input format most widely supported by slicers. OpenSCAD and TinkerCAD can both export STLs. Google Sketchup can export STLs with an optional plugin. Fusion360 supports STL generation as well.

Slicers
—-
The PolyPrinters use KissSlicer but other slicers can be used: some have better/different features. I’m not sure which slicer the resin printers use, but learning about placement of support, hollowing, and model orientation is worth some time spent within the slicer program.

2 Likes

this is basically correct. You can import a dxf file into programs such as vcarve, fusion 360, and most any CAM program to generate gcode. The program must have a post processor to generate the correct format for the shakeypoo.

I was told by @Evan_Lott to learn the http://Chitubox.com for the resin printers.

Chitubox is the standard slicer for Elegoo Mars printers. As an option you can use Lychee Slicer. I have yet to try Lychee but many people says it makes much better supports.

1 Like

TinkerCAD also has an option to import an SVG. Then you can extrude the outline of your part.
You can also augment the extruded part with the primitive shapes. I’ve used it to make some simple parts.

Inkscape is fine for 2D work. For 3D work there’s lots of options. You can use a CAD application or a polygon application. Both have pros and cons based on the type of object being modeled.

CAD applications will be better for functional mechanical parts built with basic shapes (boxes, spheres, cones, mathematiclly defined shapes, adding and subtracting those).

Polygon applications will be better for organic and unusual shapes (art, figurines, cosplay, sculpting, etc.). Polygon applications can still do CAD like stuff but with some caveats like the desired resolution/smoothness needs to be known ahead of time.

Blender is a popular free and open source polygon application.

Houdini is a good polygon application but it’s not free except for non-commercial use. This is what I use.

I’m less familiar with CAD applications but it looks like folks have already made some suggestions there.

4 Likes

And let’s not forget Solidworks for CAD modeling. I’m currently working on getting the free, individual maker licenses for Solidworks renewed, so if you’re interested get on my waiting list by messaging me.

In the meantime, we have the Premium version of Solidworks (2017) on the jump server for any of us to use. It can be used for commercial purposes, if necessary.

Instructions on accessing it are here:

You can find all information on using the Jump server via our wiki: JumpServerFAQ - Dallas Makerspace

2 Likes
1 Like