Best materials for laser cut jewelry?

I’m a noob with the laser cutter… just took the intro class a couple of weeks ago. I’m wanting to do some laser cut wood jewelry and ornaments but I’m not sure what kind of wood/thickness to look for. I’m thinking 1/8" is a good thickness, but I’m not sure. I’ve scoured the forum and haven’t found anything. I’ve seen people online use bamboo but I’ve noticed that bamboo isn’t mentioned in the recommended materials list. I’d ideally like to use something that I can buy relatively easily since I was wanting to do this in the next week or so. Any suggestions? I’m excited to get going on this!

Are you thinking of making studs or dangles?

Dangles. Studs would be cool too, but I was thinking something along these lines: https://www.etsy.com/listing/212439273/rhombus-laser-cut-wood-earrings?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

1 Like

Inventables sells small amounts of hardwoods in 1/16 and 1/8 inch thicknesses. Affordable enough to experiment with. Small enough for small items like earrings. https://www.inventables.com/categories/materials/wood-mdf/hardwood

4 Likes

These are really pretty, I’d love to make some earrings in a geometric style like this as well. Now I’ve had to add ‘acquire thin hardwood’ and ‘make vectors for earrings’ to my to do list :slight_smile:

Have you already created your image files?

1 Like

There is (frequently) loads of scraps available for the pickings, either in the “scrap” sections or, if you’re not above dumpster diving, in the throwaways in the woodshop (I’d stay out of the actual dumpster, though) that could be used . Especially for testing…

4 Likes

I second the suggestion of checking the scrap bin in woodshop. I have some things I make that only need small thin pieces and I’ve found some great pieces of nice wood in that bin. I just fly through and check when I think about it.

Also have found nice wood scraps on ebay.

Or just letting woodworker friends know that their nice wood scraps they’re usually going to toss as too small/thin are often perfect for my needs (especially if give them guidelines of what is useable, they’ll save up sometimes)

6 Likes

Once you know how to create these earrings, perhaps you can teach a class :wink: I would love to learn how to make earrings with the laser tool!

4 Likes

Right? My Makerspace to-do list is like a mile long.

And no, not yet! I’ve been playing around with different geometric designs in Illustrator, but I don’t have anything I’m in love with quite yet.

2 Likes

I find that list only ever gets longer…

3 Likes

Re mile long list

It only gets worse the more you hang around. Thanks Makerspace :stuck_out_tongue:

My giant current list of DMS goals can be summed up by “play more with sharp objects and play more with fire.”

7 Likes

I like 1/16" or 1/32" Baltic Birch. You can find it at Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, Jo Ann’s, etc. I think the last piece of 12" x 24" x 1/32" Birch cost me around $12, but I figured out that I could cut close to 100 earrings out of that one piece, so 12 cents per earring.

5 Likes

Both Woodcraft and Rockler stock thin (1/8" and 1/4") hardwoods and exotic woods in various widths and lengths.

5 Likes

I also like to order from these guys on occasion: http://www.bellforestproducts.com/

Good guys, small family business/owners.

5 Likes

Remember that those stores offer weekly 40% or better discount coupons.

4 Likes

For Joanne’s, get their phone app for the latest coupons.

And they will acceltp the other stores coupons

@kyrithia.
Bamboo is fine on the lasers. Start with the same setting as wood.

Plywood is a good choice for the sample you show. The layers alternate grain. With regular wood, you have a greater chance of it snapping at the joints or runs of parallel grain. Some denser woods would probably work, like rosewoods. Cross-grain wood like mesquite would work too. I think bamboo, but I haven’t tested any varieties of it.

Cutting stock to thickness is not difficult on the band saw. It can also be done on the table saw. Then the drum sander to get it to the exact thickness you wish
Several folks in the woodshop can show you. Perhaps we should offer it as a class.

6 Likes

I recommend @pinewoodnut 's Ornament class. Think earrings for Christmas trees. David shows you how to use Inkscape, create geometric patterns and shapes, and cut them out on the Laser.

5 Likes

My next class on December 5th is technically full, but I’m happy to squeeze you in. Maybe you can make snowflake earrings/pendant. :grin:

Happy to talk with you about good materials and how to test for good settings.

2 Likes