Bending 1/8 in high-tensile steel or Stainless steel

I was curious what best practice would be to put some bends into 1/8" high-tensile or stainless steel.

I was reading the manual for the Baileigh Pan and Box Brake and it is only rated (overrated according to the internet at large) to 0.9 mm stainless sheet for a 46" bend. Granted my bend would be 2.1" not 46" but it would be much thicker at about 3.175 mm.

So I’m guessing I need to use the press brake.

My questions are 1) do I have to use the press break or can I get away with using the box brake since my material is narrow and 2) if I have to use the press brake can I make reasonable accurate bends that aren’t 45 degrees? Looking at the brake we have here at work, the die/insert produces ~45 degree bends (bends the work 135 degrees) when you fully press it. Are there multiple inserts or do you vary the bend by carefully modulating your press?

I’m also considering slotting the plate for weight reduction so that would further reduce the effective width of the bend.

Also I’m still reading/watching around the internet trying to figure out how to get your work square in a press brake.

It’s going to be too thick I think, even with the smaller area because the magnetic form will have so little room to actually place a hold. Our unit is adjustable angle magnetic system. I don’t know about any press brakes around besides the small one in machine, but that would be a @nicksilva question.

-Jim

Sorry, there was a 5-ton hydraulic press listed under metal shop under the tool page. I assumed it was a brake.

This guy here

was a pipe bender, if I recall correctly.
Regardless, I think it might not be around any more, either, and likely needs removed from the page…

It’s gone for sure.

1 Like

definitely gone.

There is a problem with different tool lists that are inconsistent and needs consolidating & correction. It’s on the long list of things getting done.

-Jim

1 Like

And it’s gone from the tools page of the wiki…

1 Like

I think the ideal tool would be a hossfeld bender of This Old Tony Fame. I reckon with the proper dies you could bed anything.

http://www.hossfeldbender.com/

It look’s a lot like @TBJK 's that he shows off in this thread:

With a long enough lever I can move bend the world.

I have a ten foot power brake with interchangeable dies
DAVID

1 Like

How many bends do you plan on making what angle and what tolerance are you trying to achieve?

1 Like

I was planning on 5 bends but now I’m thinking I’ll just use two. It will be bulkier but less of a pain in the ass.

I think I’d like the bends to be within 2 or 3 degrees of what I want.

What will this part be used for?

What creates the requirement for 1/8in thick steel?

Could each section be cut and welded into your desired shape? If ‘No’ why not?

How will this part be attached to the overall assembly?

Erik, we ordered the press brake attachment & I would expect it in a few days. It will need to be welded together once here. That will bend it easily. We do need to get those press plates before it can be used.

2 Likes

Thanks, Tim!!!

Nope, part of a mount for an ebike motor.