Bend steel rectangle tubing

Is there any equipment at the makerspace to bend steel rectangle tubing?

I’m wanting to bend 3"x2" 1/8" thick tube about 25 degrees.

Thank you

Not sure there is for a 3x2, @TBJK will know for sure.

Another method I’ve used with round tubing and square tubing is to cut your piece a little long on each side of the bend. Weld one side shut, pack the tubing with damp sand tight, Weld the fill end up with no voids in the sand. Clamp on the vice close to joint and heat and bend at the same time.

Once you get your angle, cut each end to length and empty out the sand.

Good Luck

Not sure how I forgot to respond to this. We do not have the current capability to bend large square tube. That is a lot of force to bend that.

There are benders out there for that stuff though, Baileigh sells them… they are not cheap. 50k https://www.baileigh.com/mandrel-tube-bender-mb-4x2

Several shops out there have them, including Aaron Kaufman’s new shop.

1 Like

Do we have the right tools to precisely bend 1/4" or 3/8" thick flat-iron? I’d like to learn to make the trapzeoid steel legs I’ve been buying for tables. Something like this:

Short answer: no
Longer answer: you should be able to build a pin bender for those pretty easily (2 pins in the big vise; 2 pins in an anvil, etc.), or check with the smithy folks, I’d think. That looks like a heat-n-bend to me…
(Please prove me wrong, people! It’s not like I know anything about this!)

Where’s the new show?

Asked before checking the googlers:

http://gasmonkeygarage.com/aaronsnewshow.html

If it is heat and bend, the induction forge would be perfect for spot heating.

1 Like

Could 3" wide flat-stock fit through the induction forge? I only briefly saw it on the tour but thought it probably wasn’t big enough.

I think one of the loops are big enough.

1 Like

we have a loop already that should fit a 3" piece also coils can be custom made for the induction forge if you want to go that route.

1 Like

I’ve never worked with metal, if I bought some flat stock would anyone be able to show me how to use the induction furnace and get precise/repeatable bends to make table legs like this? Doesn’t need to be anytime soon, just something I want to learn so I can stop buying legs like this.

The word of the day is jig. Do some research on bending jigs if you want repeatable bends. For your example, I suggest your going to want a jig for the entire rectangle.

1 Like

To add to Walters point on jigs: when bending metal a big issue is “spring back”. But if you are heating the bend area high enough it will bend and form easily and not have any appreciable spring back. While soft you’ll have a few seconds to easily make straighting adjustments.

I would suggest, if not already designed this way, to put the weld joint in the middle of the top as this will be under the table and not seen.

In which way are you trying to bend them? I have looked at the picture a few times & its kinda hard to determine. Is it just those 4 corners? Meaning the material is still flat in the Trapizoid shape?

Correct, start with one long piece of flat steel, make the 4 bends. The top actually isn’t even welded, it is still open and it is only tightened when screwed into the underside of the table. There are no twists or anything fancy, just 4 precise corners.

1 Like

Easily done with a well built jig. Create a 4 steel pipe peg jig. Begin the bend in the middle of the under table portion and heat each bend joint as you go.

Induction heater won’t work with the jig. I’d use acetylene torch with a rosebud tip. But at the metal shop, I’d use MAPP torch.

Another way is to simply cut each length and weld the corners to the proper angles (corner jig, again). Different look but can be nice.

I would definitely be into helping you with this and documenting the process. I couldnt get to it though until after Thanksgiving.

1 Like

Couldn’t you:

1. Heat
  2. Place in jig
  3. Bend
  4. Cool (With water or air)
  5. Repeat 3x

I imagine you would need a better jig, such that you could place your work quickly, but it should be doable, no?

1 Like

You could do it that way with just one bend point jig and move the piece around and bend each joint. But it will be a bit finicky and you’ll need to check your angles and any twist that might occur… then it gets a bit unwieldly as the bends add up. So I would build a complete shape jig that takes all the hassle out of the process.

So I would,

1.) position piece in the beginning of jig
2.) Heat
3.) Bend over first post
4.) Clamp
5.) Repeat with the rest of jig

Continue this way until the piece is fully bent, then cut with an abrasive wheel and tack weld, then remove from jig. Start the next leg.

The OP indicated that he buys these legs and would like to make his own making it seem there is a production need. Therefore, if true, a well built jig that accomplishes accuracy and productivity is the way to go IMO.

It is very low production, maybe a pair a month, this is just a side hobby… The issue is the bottom and top width would change and the height can change based on customer request.

If you are changing the angles and length of each of the legs, then a jig that has adjustable pegs would be needed. It would make the jig a little more complicated to build, but laying it out on the plasmacam for the adjustment holes would be fairly easy. You could make it out of 3/8” plate that has adjustments holes in it. Weld the plates together. Bolt on the pegs and you can change angle and lengths of each run.

Either way, for quality and accuracy of angles, a 4 peg jig is the way to go.

(BTW, a perforated welding table, makes positioning bending pegs easy and unlimited to the size of the table.)

****As a side note: I thInk the induction heater would work great for paper clip legs and a simple 1 post jig.