Beekeeping SIG is there interest in this?

How many people would be interested in starting a beekeeping SIG within Science, to prepare for beekeeping next year? @kobin @Tapper

3 Likes

I’d love to learn and help.

1 Like

I am. I like the idea of building one that is a window so you can see the hive working, (Making a double pane polycarbonate)

sure, but we need to find a place to put our hives and need to know by December/January of 2019. Tapper mentioned some ideas before.

I meant at my home - not he space.

1 Like

I don;t have time to commit to a SIG…but I’ll share…I just bought the little bee house at Costco and plan on mounting in our backyard by the garden.

3 Likes

oh are you interested in some basic classes and on how to buy a Nuc? There is a gigantic beekeeping club here in dallas I went to it once, but I need land with flowers and stuff for the bees.

1 Like

The Collin County Hobby Beekeepers Association (http://cchba.org/) does an EXCELLENT job of teaching beekeeping to novices. I was a member for several years.

They meet the 2nd Monday each month at 6:30pm at the Collin College Conference Center near US 75 and 380.

Collin College Conference Center
(Central Park Campus)
2400 Community Ave.
McKinney, TX

7 Likes

Related but not related:
Makers and sustainability builds

https://makezine.com/2018/06/13/maker-faire-barcelona-celebrates-sustainable-city-future/

2 Likes

Sounds super cool! Pencil me in

1 Like

i keep bees in ft worth area. i would be down for more maker interactive bee related shindigs.

what would interest me the most is working on building boxes together with someone who has the skills.

i think there might be too many people to do a single DMS hive that we all maintain when we want. unless we get a dedicated group and schedule the maintenence, have a place for it to live etc.

beekeeping definitely interest me more than any of the other projects currently happening with science dept.

2 Likes

if you dont get bees in there soon itll bee too late to start for 2018 and kinda cruel to just let them die over winter.

1 Like

@triggerscold I don’t understand your reply. Can you elaborate?

2 Likes

I’m looking to put them in my backyard (and the Window hive if possible). It’ll take time to learn and build them and whatever is needed to establish a hive. So it is later, no problem fro me. Lots to learn about these critters.

1 Like

where could we place 10 hives, that have adequate flowers, water, etc?

DMS has such a large spread out membership unless we had a member with land it would be hard to find. and we def wouldnt want them in any of the dallas counties

you might be able to temp someone with an AG exemption. but for 10 hives and lots of people to come and go on their land a lot would be a hard sell.

1 Like

Do you have bees yet Josh_Melnick? I might have a hive for you. I’ve had them for a few years, they are in a single deep langstroth at the moment but would probably fill a 2nd quick.

1 Like

Didn’t ask this guys name but something tells me we might be able to deduce it. Hive building going down at Dms.

3 Likes

I’m interested. I have a hive at my house.

1 Like

@Clayton,
There’s an old 17th century saying:

a swarm in May is worth a load of hay;
a swarm in June is worth a silver spoon;
but a swarm in July is not worth a fly

Starting a hive this late in the year will likely leave them to small/weak and with too few honey stores to get the hive through the winter.

Beekeepers in TX usually start new hives in April - early April if they can get queens by then. Splits can be done in April and May, but June is pushing it unless you feed heavily and start with strong hives to split from and with some already drawn-out comb to provide.

3 Likes