Beating metal into submission

They make good stuff, I’ve traded anvils out at their shop before and seen them give demos.

My problem is still that the Makerspace is missing the convenience of a regular shop. You can’t just show up and use things- there’s a massive setup period. Take stuff down ramp, heat up forge, then work, then undo everything you’ve just done. Add in a power hammer or a hydraulic press and that becomes even more complicated. Some of the things I’ve forged recently wouldn’t even fit in the induction forge and torches aren’t allowed inside.

I’ll totally buy a secondhand Anyang something from the Makerspace at used prices in the future, though, so buy away :slight_smile:

1 Like

That needs to eventually stop. All of it needs to be inside, IMO.

1 Like

Landlord imposed rule. As far as I know, until the Makerspace decides to move that can’t be changed.

I completely agree, grumble city official grumble grumble.

1 Like

It also leaked oil like a sieve.

1 Like

Leaked like a sieve, there was no sieve involved. Open can, pour oil on floor, rinse and repeat.

Something we could have fixed if we had ever actually gotten to the point of using it. My point being that a power hammer sounds great in theory, but if we didn’t even attempt to use the last one…what are the chances we’ll even attempt to use the next one?

I dislike it when folks post things up for sale with no price on CL. Yeah 4500 seems like alot

If we can use it with the induction forge, then it could be of use. We didn’t have that back then that I remember. That is the main thing, you need a forge nearby in order for it to be useful. I’m not sure how portable it is.

1 Like

If we got a power hammer that needed triple phase run, I would at the very least be interested in looking at what needed to be done to run triple phase

It’s just 3 phase, not complicated at all. 3 wires & a ground. Far superior to single phase.

We also already have 3 phase power

1 Like

Depending on size of hammer, special foundation may be required.

my statement still applies, just change 3-phase for that foundation

Really? That changes the physical stresses that are imparted to floor? A X-ton hammer transmits force through the machine to the floor/foundation whether it is electrical, hydraulic or pneumatically driven. The same impact force transmitted to the floor doesn’t care how it was generated.

“kids”…

David you know a three phase foundation is the cure for that kind impact force! Here have a bottle of Lucas replacement wiring harness smoke just in case…

2 Likes

I nearly spit out my coke!

2 Likes

… a 22" thick slab is pretty substantial for such a modest hammer. You can probably build a decent wooden platform over your existing slab and be just fine. A 4" slab is a bit thin, so maybe put a rubber pad under two layers of yellow pine 2" x 10" or whatever width is convenient. Put one layer of yellow pine down and the next at right angles. If it doesn’t get the working height too high for you, you could even go another layer. You can adjust the working height by making the bottom layer extend out enough that you are standing on it to operate the treadle.

Two points …

One, we can dampen the floor vibration and impact it will have on the slab.

Two, if we don’t have tools that actual professional blacksmiths would have in their shops, how are we going to attract those sorts of people to teach?

We are already planning to get a forge press once we move to our own room, it eliminates the need to worry about vibration and is a much better tool to learn on.

And honestly I don’t think we need one to attract professional Blacksmiths most will tell you not to start with a power hammer, and you’d be surprised how many don’t have power hammers. Especially when you consider most are also farriers, who work out of their trucks

5 Likes

Also reduces the likelihood of generating cool nicknames like “Righty”, “One hand Joe”, and Ole “Damn-What-Happened-to-Your-Hand-that-Looks-like-it-was-Super-Painful.”

5 Likes