[Resource] BBS9000 Terminal - XM Core Vintage Computer

Just an FYI I have been told it is already on lost and found.
Please come ASAP and grab the item.

Getting a working PDP-11 at DMS would rock! I’ve often considered building a PDP-1 replica, but the amount of physical construction (apart from the relatively simple logic) is enormous.

Thanks for the heads up and no worries I don’t think you are being a d*ck. Policies are in place and everyone needs to follow them, I’m no exception just still need to know the right committee to talk with in this matter

I think it would be great to have a Cray XT4 Supercomputer at the space. There’s one on ebay with amd opteron quad cores and full ram going for $5k. maybe not so retro/vintage but still cool none the least.

Personally I’ve been wanting to build my own z80 machine that has gobs of ram, some modern hardware conventions (ssd, usb, vga) and wifi.

As for the pdp-11 there’s several soviet models one could aquire however that would be out of scope until the Vintage Computing Committee is official or one of the other established committees accept hosting the devices.

I’m in. I have experience with some of these old machines and would like to help refurbish them.

1 Like

Maybe electronics would like to claim this? @Haley_Moore @artg_dms

One item enters, one must go. :wink:

1 Like

All those old osciliscopes, and a ton of useless SMD parts maybe? Sort of like the vintage computers (hey-ooo)

2 Likes

Sweet! Come on out to the XM Core meetup then on Friday and we’ll talk.

I don’t think hosting vintage (or any thing else) computers for public display/use in the E lab is a good idea.

1. It falls outside the purpose of the lab.
  2. Lab has limited space.
  3. Tying up a bench long term is unacceptable.
  4. Increased public traffic through the lab is an increased security risk.
  5. Increased public traffic through the lab is a distraction to those who have projects to work on.

Over $1200.00 of gear has “disappeared” out of the E lab. One individual has been caught, but I am suspicious that more than one person was involved.

As for “a ton of useless SMD parts” - they’re gone. We had “the purge” where the ocd gotta fill a trash can crowd gleefully got their fix. Time to get over it and move forward.

5 Likes

Completely makes sense.

Updates on the Terminal:

We officially have allocated space in the Interactive Classroom thanks to John.

Mad props to the interactive classroom committee for getting behind us.

Tonight we had some upgrades added to the terminal and modern mice now work as expected. Plus there is a c64 emulator on the terminal for anyone to use to play demos, games, or have a hand at programming in BASIC.

Also, if you write any apps please share them on github or on XM Core bbs files area so others can try them out as well.

3 Likes

I missed the event on Friday, but I am interesting in doing this.

Is there a version of Xcode available for the iMac does it date back to CodeWarrior?

Xcode was a generation later (G4+) with the new cocoa api in Mac OS 10. So one had to choose from MPW, CodeWarrior, Symantec C++, or MacRelix.

But I’ll look into acquiring CodeWarrior for the iMac since there’s a few Abandonware sites out there that have .toast/hfs iso images one could use. Just need to make sure I have the licence and the technical ability to reauthor the disk if it gets mishandled or misplaced.

However in the mean time MacRelix should be installed and does provide an IDE, Unix environment which includes sockets, a shell, ports of perl and Git, plus a full C/C++ compiler that builds binaries which work on 68K and PowerPC Mac systems. MacRelix can compile with Carbon to run natively in OS X. (Think of it as plan9ports or cygwin but for System 7-9).

Whatever happened to MachTen?

This MachTen? I think it fell out of favor for yellowdog linux and MacOS X 10.2. Surprisingly enough, yes one could run OS X on the g3 iMacs if they beef up the ram, do some overclocking and install a ssd. Plus don’t care about waiting ten minutes after clicking buttons before it would respond.

1 Like

Just got back from the space and the designated shelf around the terminal was abysmal.

I can understand a little confusion here and there, especially when the BBS9000 is in sleep mode, and that space is a premium at times but please lets keep the area clear so others can use the devices and have a happy makerspace.

In general return things to their proper place. Rubbage in the trash, Cables go into the cable bin and DMS laptops belong in the common room not schulte all over the shelves and on top of the interactive computers.

Thanks.

I checked the terminal tonight, and it appears to be dead. It is plugged in, but no lights or noise. Might have been a victim of the latest thunderstorms?

I slightly doubt it… those models are netorious for being arses to get out of ACPI S4. However I know I disabled that feature in the system settings but for some reason every other time I check in on it, its stuck in that state.

The usual thing one has to do is take it into the common’s room and let it warm up while powered into one of the strips in there, then power down and move it back into place.

Personally I don’t like that solution any more than the next guy. So, if anyone on this thread has any advice where to start poking around on the motherboard with my test leads I would love to hear it?

Just swung by to test the BBS9000 and once I get home I’ll be ordering a new cmos battery on express shipping.

Also found a great write up on how to diagnose issues on classic macs:

1 Like