[Resource] BBS9000 Terminal - XM Core Vintage Computer

Hey guys,

I’ve brought in an old Apple iMac to be used as a public system for connecting into any vintage system on the net or into the XM Core Builtin Board and as a bit of an interactive learning piece for the younger members of the space.

Software available:

• Graphing Calculator
  • NSCA Telnet (for muds, mushs, bbs and anything else)
  • Mozilla (aka classillia)
  • ZTerm (modem/serial communications)

Planned upgrades:

• CF Flash storage upgrade for HDD
  • HyperCard programming environment for those whom want to recreate MyST
  • HyperBBS

Login:

• Guest : Public Access account
  • DMS Guest/guest : Full Public account access

Any bugs or issues with the terminal can be directed to dwightaspencer_at_gmail.com.

Thanks and have fun while being excellent.

Denzuko,

I am sorry but you can’t just leave a machine at DMS.

Please review

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Loaning_of_Tools_.26_Equipment_To_The_Makerspace

Can you please come as soon as possible and retrieve it.

1 Like

Hello @denzuko,

Robert’s post, above, might be a little short, so here’s how you might want to go about this.

Contact the electronics chair (@artg_dms), who might want to speak up and sponsor this device. You can then go through (edit:Logistics) and see about getting the terminal placed on a stand in the commons area. I think this is a great idea, and harks back to the day of Community Memory.

In fact, a display of vintage machines, properly protected from abuse, but still able to be used would be a great addition to DMS!

Thank you for your efforts, and sorry about the bureaucracy needed to contribute this sort of resource!

2 Likes

Art and @Haley_Moore are currently vice chairs, they have a meeting on the 22nd for folks to select a new chair. Anyway, either one would be a good choice, but I don’t think they have the authority to authorize space in the common area, only electronics.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming…

There’s a bunch of crap (and I mean that in the nicest way) near the “front” of the commons area, sitting/hanging on a shelf. I think it some sort of game system, but I haven’t paid too much attention to it. Anyone happen to know how that got common space?

I believe that is the allocated space for the drone/rc committee. The machine hosts a flight system/trainer.

Ok, thanks. Makes more sense now.

Who wants to form a Vintage Computing Committee and get some space? :wink:

2 Likes

The VECTOR Committee already exists. They handle vintage computing. I suggest talking to @engpin

Vector is pinball and arcade game machines. We’re talking retro-computing: actual Apple IIs, C=64s, Timed Sinclairs, etc. For members to use and program on. Exploring the origins of modern computing.

2 Likes

Umm… No. Try reading their wiki page. VECTOR handles ALL vintage electronics.

If you’re hell-bent on not being associated with VECTOR, then consider being an informal special interest group. No reason to be a committee unless you need space.

[quote]Purpose
The VECTOR Committee (Vintage Electromechanical Conservancy of Technology, Operation, and Restoration) serves as a knowledge hub and work space for amusement technologies developed from the turn of the 20th century onward. [/quote]

Sounds like their focus is games.

Computers were made for gaming… :smirk:

2 Likes

No reason to be a committee unless you need space.

Honestly, Brooks, how about not bickering about this?

Read my original post, and consider how Metal Shop has different goals than Machine Shop, while they both work with identical materials.

2 Likes

That’s one of the goals I would like to achieve @zmetzing. lets talk more at the next XM Core meetup on Friday.

Amusement technologies… so basically arcade, pinball machines and gaming rigs?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be more than open to collaborate with whichever group exists at the space (already know of a few, NDARG off the top of my head) that is responsible for retro/vintage computing. After all, the more the merrier.

Pinball and arcade are nice to have around after all they do use the zilog apu in the post pinball wizard days but @zmetzing is correct, think pdp-11, vintage apple, and trs-80’s here. Anything x86 can be virtualized via qemu so that’s already sitting on some vm in AWS. The real hard core retro-computing is those gems that we have all loved and leave sitting in our closest. So if @engpin is wanting to collaborate then I’m ok with that, but I do plan on acquiring a pdp, c64 and trs-80 micro for this project and getting them online to ARPAnet via telnet, UUCP, and fidonet so the main focus is on retro “internet” than on gaming.

1 Like

Thanks for the link but it looks like the Operations and facilities committee has been marked as inactive. But the wiki page was quite informative and I already was aware of those just not aware that the point of contact was via talk.

From the posts made here it looks like there’s several resources that may or may not be needed to brought into the loop so could we post up a confirmation of whom is the point of contact in this matter?

btw,… Rouge, Wampus, and Tradewars is gaming :wink:

1 Like

Operations was broken into infrastructure and logistics.

I am trying to prevent your computer from being put on the donation shelf, so has a committee accepted the loan?

If it has not you should take it home until which time you get a committee approval.

I am not trying to be a dick but you can’t just come up and drop something off at DMS.

Robert Davidson

2 Likes

Just an FYI I have been told it is already on lost and found.
Please come ASAP and grab the item.