Battery Operated Tools - Red vs Yellow

I’m currently using older Porter Cable 18V tools, and some are getting to the end of their useful lives. I want to move to another battery standard. Replacing with like isn’t really an option, nor is it particularly desirable.

I’m leaning toward standardizing on Milwaukee M18 stuff, but the fact that the DeWalt stuff is not made in or managed from China has enough appeal to overcome my inherent bias against Dewalt.

What do you use and why?

[zipping up Nomex suit just in case a religious war ensues]

2 Likes

Buy one of each color to prevent getting vendor locked!

3 Likes

I actually have both DeWalt & Milwaukee. I cant say really anything bad about either. I can tell you, don’t accidentally get your Milwaukee impact wet, but thats not their fault.

I use Ryobi for all my tools at home. I use DeWalt and Milwaukee at work. But I like the large product line that Ryobi offers, like I can use the batteries on my drill, a small hand vacuum, a shop vac, and my weed eater.

From an automotive perspective those are the two brands people seem to like most. I’ve used both. Dewalt’s big impact is a monster, probably better for axle nuts etc. We have Milwaukee in auto and it all seems good too.

I have Hilti’s 20v stuff because I’m a hipster. I like it a lot, the build quality seems good and it was maybe 10% more than Dewalt for what I wanted at the time I bought.

Make sure the product line you buy into has a portable coffee maker! :coffee:

2 Likes

I’ll share the great tool owner ship graphic as it is always hard to keep track of who owns who.

Gosh, 6+ years ago now, it seemed you could trust DeWalt would keep battery lines around longer than most brands and that their tools were top notch. I’ve since lost some love for the brand as they have run dual lines of products with some bait and switch action in their combo kits. Where they sell the “Home” version in the combo kit and the “Commercial” version in the single tool. But, from looks and sometimes careful reading, it was hard to tell them apart. That said, I have a full set of DeWalt tool that are more than 10 years old and still work well as I’ve purchased replacement batteries over the years. Though, battery prices are so high now that you consider buying new tools to get the loss leader batteries included in the kits.

I like where Milwaukee tools seems to be going with their lines, TTI seems to be keeping it as their premier line with some winks to Rigid every now and then. Plus, I’m loving packout even though it is so expensive. Not a fan of the DeWalt alternative tool box option. Though stay away from the low power lines from Milwaukee, they are toys.

I’d say if your building out everything and tool boxes are part, Go with packout and having the tools match is a pretty plus!.

1 Like

As a moderately committed home gamer I’ve found that Ryobi ONE+ serves my needs.

Also, brand hierarchy is always something to keep in mind:
(which Nick provided as I was composing)

2 Likes

I’ve been very happy with Ryobi and their 18V and 40V offerings. In 15 years I’ve had a single charger go bad and a few batteries wear out.

1 Like

Dies this include M12?

I have had great luck with Bosch

That is the line I’m talking about when I say toys. We have a few as leftovers from customizing them for corporate gifts. They are light and small, but for drilling, sawing, and impact they are underwelming. It’s giving up to much battery life and torque for my use cases. That said the line up is HUGE in the M12 range, so if you have a use case and their tool fits your need, go for it. I suggest skipping the M12 drills, saws, and impacts.

@Lampy Milwaukee beats the coffee maker with a Kegerator!
https://www.tiktok.com/@frednisly486/video/7015730737529900293

As for the Ryobi crowd, they do have a comprehensive line of tools and a battery standard they have held too. Plus, they are a TTi brand. Meaning, the brands will likely share their successes, so if Milwaukee hits a home run, it will likely make it down to Ryobi, but the inverse is true as well. So staying in the family is a plus either way. This has also proven true with TTi brands in the past. Also, it is likely why the new HART line has been budget first but not ultra-crap.

It is interesting that Hilti and Makita are absent, because they are basically stand alone companies.

Also not in the graphic, but apparently from the same source, Fortive owns Matco tools, Fluke, Tektronix, and Keithly. It seems sort of odd that you have 3 electronics test giants with a largely hand tools company.

I settled on the 40V Ryobi tools for my gardening efforts. I’ve been using them for a number of years now and I use the Expandit series of tools with a couple of Ryobi motors.which come with the attachments. I have a three battery capacity 40V Ryobi charger and lots of expandit tools to go with it.
I have chainsaws, a blower, a hedge trimmer, weed eater and roto tiller attachments. I’ve not had a single one of them die. They all work great.the expandit series has the advantage of attaching to my gasoline powered expandit motors, too if I need more power, but the electric does a great job most of the time.

Lastly, my impact drivers, drills jigsaw and circular saw are Dewalt 20V max tools. I also have an old 18V drill, impact driver and sawsall with an adapter for the 20V lithium batteries.

Lastly, I inherited a bunch of Ryobi 12V tools where the batteries have died. The are packed away until I decide to by new batteries.

Overall I’ve only had one Dewalt drill die and all of the original 18v NiCd batteries are dead. (I repaired the drill as well) My adapter makes these still viable tools though. (Dewalt sells new Lithium batteriies for them but for now I;m happy with the adapter.

Don’t forget your made in China, Knock Off Train Horns. Mine are team yellow, but you can get team red as well.

1 Like

I have some M12 tools as well. I have the inflator, right angle die grinder, 3/8 ratchet, and this kit
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12V-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-4-in-1-Installation-3-8-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-4-Tool-Heads-2505-22/309495334

You have to keep in mind what your tasks are. The inflator will inflate a tire, not quickly but it will do it. I bought it to keep in my van, I got tired of trying to find a gas station air pump that works. My van catches a lot of screws & nails in the tires. Am I going to use the M12 to drive screws in all day, nope. I’ll go to the more capable 18volt. We have guys that us the m12 impacts & drills regularly for working on RTU’s that are happy with them.

@ozindfw im happy to bring in any of the power tools I have to let you get hands on them. Never really realize what power tools you have until you start thinking of them.

I think it might be a good idea to have people bring in their power tools so we can compare them, mainly so others can get a side by side comparison of how they like the feel & balance, etc…

I have quite a collection of over 20+ 18V Ryobi One tools, what can I say, I say, the sale kill me. Consumer usage grade.

Think about all the tools you use, the ACTUAL run time on them. For most people their drill probably gets the most. For example: My impact driver. I do the brakes, 6 lugs per tire. Each lug needs about 3 seconds of actual run time, so 15 seconds per tire, 1 minute to take off, plus one minute to put back on. Plus say 1 minute for other tasks the rest of the year. I’d most of my tools have less than 5-10 minutes per year of run time on them. I don’t need better tools. Any big or better, I get from DMS. Having a common batteries, a 2A, 2x4A and 2x6A I’m covered for those days using my yard tools.

My circular saw, what is your actual run time per year?

My run time on my Dewalt battery powered saw is about 1-2 hrs per year tops. I use it to cut stock into manageable/transportable pieces. My most recent use was to cut some 2x4s to make some steps in my attic. A total run time of about 5-10 mins tops.

I also have wall powered saws and drills and some ancient but usable Black and Decker Versapack tools.
Unfortunately, I’m susceptible to sales, discounts and clearance items. I have a 7.2V Versapack Hand Vacuum that I like a lot.

Also,
When I say I like Packout, I’m not kidding.

2 Likes

If they are the lithium, you may need to ‘jump start’ them with another battery to bring them up to the point the charger will see them. This will happen if the battery goes too dead for the charger to “see”

2 Likes