Basic maintenance

I’m in for any auto mntc or repair classes! Is there a schedule? How can I find out ab the classes / workshops?

2 Likes

Classes will start in early May and will be on the calendar

6 Likes
3 Likes

Looks like the same slide hammer kit that was thrown away recently

1 Like

Say WHAT!?!
WHY?
tell me it actually NEEDED to be thrown away!?!
:scream:

2 Likes

I don’t have the reason …
but a good samaritan retrieved it from the trash and sent me a text asking if I wanted if for automotive and I said yes, we’d be happy to accept his donation
it is/was a cornwell brand (not horror freight)

5 Likes

YES PLEASE!
Story Time:

Our 2005 honda steering column would screech terribly. We googled it. Turns out it was an O ring that needed replacement. However, while I do not shrink from opening up a sewing machine and figuring out what’s wrong, with a car it’s my life on the line. We lived with it. Time for maintenance came, so we took it to one mechanic. We mentioned the o ring replacement. He laughed at the idea an o ring would cause those issues and recommended replacing the whole steering column for BIG MONEYs. We didn’t. He topped off the fluid and we continued with a less screechy car.

A while later, AC goes out. We decided to take it to a different mechanic. We mentioned the screeching steering system. He checked and confirmed the leak, topped off fluids, tightened some hoses and said to check levels and bring it back if it didn’t work, we might need to replace the pump.

So a year goes by. We need to take it back, this time the check engine light is coming on and car’s acting funny. Still screeches. We have gotten used to it, now we buy honda steering fluid and top it off once in a while but know it needs replacing. Guess what the veredict was???

There was a malfunctioning O ring. If we had caught it on time, we might’ve not needed a new pump. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

So yes. I need this class.

1 Like

Jules,

Hondas are known for steering hydraulic air leaks that cause foaming of the fluid and that popular noise. Often if can be just the O ring on the top of the pump, but can also let air in from other connections and or seals.
Honda approved power steering fluid is the only fluid to use as well.

Too many people are sold unnecessary repairs on brakes, steering, and more…

Tom ~ Thanks for bringing Automotive classes on board! It’s something that’s been needed and is much appreciated! :dms:

1 Like

I’m working on times and days (evenings during the week) etc to get started and recurring lift training events.

6 Likes

I would be more than happy to help or even teach upcoming classes

4 Likes

Seeing someone on the side of the road with their hood up on the way in today reminded me of something I forgot earlier: what would make a good emergency kit?

In addition to basic tools, some useful items include:

1. a battery jump pack.
  2. an extra mobile phone charge cable for the cigarette lighter outlet or USB if you have it.
  3. a quart or two of motor oil.
  4. fuses.
  5. duct tape.
  6. tail lamp bulbs.
  7. a piece of wood to place under the jack on loose dirt.
  8. tire chocks.
  9. a jack stand makes tire changing much safer.
  10. an air compressor.
  11. when you get belts or hoses replaced, keep the old ones for spares. Even if you do not know how to install them, a good samaritan is more likely to be able to install them than make them from materials found by the side of the road.
  12. sand or sandy kitty litter for traction in the wintertime. Also, a blanket and some high-calorie food.

I am sure i am leaving stuff out…

1 Like

two things you MUST carry in every vehicle in Germany(by law)should be the same here but nope.

First Aid Kit, space blanket and break down triangles (so others can see your vehicle day or night.
A small fire extinguisher is great.

With cars getting smaller - I’d remove the chocks, jack stand,air compressor, old belts and hoses.

2 Likes

A 2-liter bottle of water is easy to maintain and MUCH more durable than those super thin gallon jugs that are easily punctured. Just use distilled water to fill it up.

Also, a small package of pantyhose makes a quick and dirty non-serpentine belt replacement to get someone back on the road for a few miles to get to a safer place.

2 Likes

I think this thread of what to carry in your car is great. Don’t forget your 9mm Beretta tool though.
(Just kidding folks)

2 Likes

in a roadside break down where “engine coolant” is needed - one can use the windshield washer fluid from the reservoir if accessible …
I’ve used beer in the radiator after an issue - to get the car home after the fan went through the radiator in my brother’s MGB…good times !

3 Likes

Years ago, when I had a Fairmont Futura it had a freeze
plug rust thru. I started rapidly losing coolant less than
50 miles this side of Muskogee Ok, I limped home collecting
water containers all along the way. I had been camping out
so the water in my ice chest helped for the first few miles, I had
add water every 7-11 miles all the way to Dallas. I didn t kill the
engine, If I could have found someone to replace that darn freeze
plug, I would have gotten a lot more miles from her

That’s a great idea, but I’m going with my Glock 17. We can agree to standardize on 9mm parabellum, however. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure go with 9mm if you’ll settle for an inadequate caliber.

1 Like

A stick of JB Quick is inexpensive and can be a lifesaver in “plug the hole” situations.

1 Like