Basic Biohacker Class (Monthly) (5 student limit) (3 day class)

rough class outline:

Basic Biohacker Class (Monthly) (5 student limit) (3 day class)
Learn foundational lab techniques with pipettes, autoclave, lab stirrer, how to spread bacteria on a plate, etc.
Will take a sample of our own mtDNA use PCR on it and have it sent out to UT southwestern for sequencing.
Will use BLAST to review our mtDNA and learn about ancestry
We will splice transgenic gene into E.coli, will learn of gel electrophoresis.

Day 1 (6PM-9PM) FRIDAY
Start with mouth swab
Lecture Explain about PCR/primers/amplification and thermocycler
Teach basics of pipetting, show them how to pipette then take their DNA sample and run Qiagen kit with them, talk about vortex mixer, centrifuge, scale, just the very basics.
Start up the thermocycler with them with their DNA sample
Gel Electrophoresis of their sample DNA
Need to send out their DNA sample to UT southwestern or biosyn in Lewisville, Texas

Day 2 (6PM-9PM) SAT
Talk about protein folding, enzymes, Explain about plasmid and restriction enzymes
Need to cut some plasmid with restriction enzyme, then splice GFP or RFP gene into it with selection marker, use T4 ligase on plasmid then will transform bacteria with the class and let grow overnight;

Day 3 (6PM-9PM) SUN
Check on bacteria after overnight growth (need a control that already has the plasmid, need an agar plate without the anti-biotic, need plate with antibiotic with our newly transformed bacteria)
Discuss the mtDNA results on BLAST look up with the class
Discuss results of transformation, congratulate class on successful genetic engineering of organism
Explain our lab and invite people to continue to take our classes and consider their own possible projects. We need people to help us prepare for classes and to promote our lab and also DMS.
Talk about projects that some of the founding members are working on and see if others want to join in,
Talk about our other classes that are available.
We need people with website skills and video editing etc.

4 Likes

I am so existed by these classes. I hope yall
will allow poor half blind me to do them, even
thought I will need some help, I still remember
how to so some thing from micro and chemistry,
but it has been a long time

1 Like