Bandsaw Training & Blade Change

Hey,

I was using the bandsaw last night to resaw some wood and got about 4 inches in before I smoked my wood. I suspect the blade was dull, but this I’m new the bandsaw and not totally sure if thats what happened of if something else could have caused my issue.

Is there anybody free f to show me how to maintain the saw and change the blade?

Best,

Mike

So most the time it’s not the blade itself but the layer of resin pitch and tar that’s built up around the teeth that’s causing the (que Jim carry in the mask) SMOKINNNNN’ so best thing to do is if you know how fold it into 3 rings like the new ones find a shallow tub I use the washroom sink and liberally spray it with tool cleaner come back and preferably using an actual towel cause paper with just get shredded wipe the blade off only running the towel down with the teeth not up against it

@Chris_Fazio Yes!!! There was definitely resin & tar. I was tempted to take the blade off and try to clean it, but I’m only youtube educated and didn’t want to make the problem worse.

If you don’t know how to fold it into 3 it’s easy just take the blade, put you foot on one end to secure it to the ground grab the top with your fish knuckles facing inward and then just twist your arm and it’ll fold into 3 rings

If you’re not familiar with removing blades I’ll be up there around 7pm and will be happy to show you. Once you know the process it’s super easy and you’ll pick it up super fast

@Chris_Fazio thanks for the advice. I was most concerned about removing / replacing the blade properly: setting blade guards, tension, wheel placement etc…

@Chris_Fazio Awesome. Thanks for the offer. I’ll be there at 7.

Thanks again,

Mike

So tension will be the things that takes the most time to learn cause really the guides are just iffy you more so get the feel of how much each blade should flex when pushed but good news is with our setups they have tension release levers so if it’s the same blade going in as came out you won’t have to worry about that but I’ll walk you through blade tracking guides all of it so Atleast if you do need to switch to a different blade you’ll have a good idea how to

What were you resawing just for reference

FWIW, Easy-Off Oven cleaner spray does the same thing for a whole lot less money. It has to sit about 5 minutes and dissolves all the sap and tar. I’ve cleaned a whole lot of saw blades this way.

3 Likes

I was resawing poplar. I also have some ash I’d like to resaw

Yea Ian just bought 2 things of crt(?) which given I guess they changed their formula kinda sucks compared to the old formula! But I made half a 18oz cleaner bottle last 2-3 months then someone diluted it so given it’s not as potent as it once was @ian has got use stocked up pretty good for now

Yea it was most definitely the blade cause poplar should resaw like cardboard! But we’ll get it sorted out