Band saw height

Hi there,

Would anyone happen to know where you could rent out a bandsaw that’s 20” or higher?

I have a bandsaw mill with a 36" throat capacity. What are you trying to get done?

1 Like

I have a piece of walnut that goes up to 20” and is 3”
Thick. Wanted to split it to make a table.

How long is it?

About 51 inches

Just to make sure there’s no misunderstanding, “throat” is usually measured as the distance from the blade to the column/arm, i.e. what might be thought of as “width”. From above, it sounded like @nalajean_91 is interested in a re-saw cut, where his piece needs a band saw with a height of at least 20" (which your saw might also be able to accommodate).

1 Like

That’s doable - PM me if you want to discuss price/next step.

A couple notes. Success re-sawing something this size is going to depend on how flat the piece presently is and how the piece was dried.

If there is a large moisture gradient outside to inside, when you cut it in half you all of a sudden have a piece that’s dry on one side (formerly the outside) and wet on the other side (formerly the inside). As the wet side dries it will shrink resulting in cupping in that direction.

There’s a more thorough explanation of this here by Gene Wengert who is basically the guy when it comes to wood drying.

3 Likes

You’re right. “Throat” gets thrown around as the capacity on bandsaw mills, but it’s probably one of those things where it’s being mis-used.

I believe we’re on the same page. For clarification, the slab is 3" thick, 20" wide, 51" long and it needs to be resawed into 2 pieces ~1.5" thick, 20" wide, 51" long. My mill can resaw a piece up to ~36" wide.

2 Likes

Pretty nice article with some pictures explaining the terminology in question:

Specifically these pics:

seem pertinent.

2 Likes

Yes, precisely. I’ll message you about pricing. Thanks guys.