Band saw blade broke

I think I might have set up my wood kinda bad, and bent the saw blade. ( Going to either go buy one when home Depot opens or pay for it in the woodshop funds) but my wood is stuck to the blade, any idea how to get it out?

Already donated to the supplies hopefully more than the cost.

1 Like

Got a picture? A picture can be worth a thousand characters.

Thanks to a guy right outside the woodshop we managed to get it out.

Damn. That was a brand new blade as of yesterday afternoon :frowning:

2 Likes

Sorry about that, I donated hopefully enough to get 2 or 3 more.

Wrong! That one was bent and we installed this one at 2pm today.

1 Like

Damn, sorry about that didn’t realize it happened so many times already.

If your at the space tomorrow find me and I will teach you how to use this saw. The cut you were trying is dangerous and most people seem to not know. A good thing to keep in mind is you should always have a flat on the table. When you try to cut a curved or uneven piece the wood rocks on the table and bends the blade.

We pay about $22 per blade.

4 Likes

Ok yeah thanks, I was just thinking before hand to cut one of the sides. But there should be almost enough for three that I put in the PayPal

1 Like

lol…that makes me feel much better. :slight_smile:

We need to start giving out “I’ve passed WSB” badges to people and requiring them to be displayed while working in the woodshop.

Much appreciated!! <!;odhfvg;ewhrfv>

A Right guy.

…

3 Likes

I’ve passed WSB, but the band saws weren’t covered in my session.

Resawing might deserve its own training clearance. Something to consider as it creates a new set of risks.

That’s rather odd, they should be. Nothing too deep but definitely some basics.

3 Likes

They were acknowledged but setups and adjustments weren’t covered, nor were they used. I asked for help before using them when I needed to, and I’d used one before so I knew not to bind the blade.

(Edited to remove “as I explained” because I hadn’t explained!)

3 Likes

This was the case in my WSB class as well. Their existence was acknowledged, and the standard “ask someone if you don’t know and they’ll teach you” given. Which as always can only be a partial answer, as it can never fix the problem of not knowing what one doesn’t know.

It was near the end of the class; surely time constraints limit what can be covered at some point, and some things have to be sacrificed to fit in others. I figure that’s a problem that will be addressed over time with more documentation for beginner classes; when a discussion on the “extra” items in the shop (yup, there aren’t any “extra” items, I know, but you know what I mean) can be distilled into two minutes worth of critical safety bullet points that have to be covered no matter what, and other items that are less critical and can be addressed if time serves, the concern of one item cutting into something else’s time can be ameliorated to some degree.

2 Likes