Bad caps class tonight

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that attended - we had 9 people plus me in the Electronics Lab.

At the end folks got to play with the ESR meter and see caps that were bad. I had some that were cracked open and vented and others with high ESR values - in the 40 ohm to 80 ohm range and some above 99, the max the meter would read. These caps were pulls from computer boards and arcade game boards that I fixed and showed how some caps could easily be seen as bad while others you had to diagnose.

I brought at 37" TV and another member brought a monitor. Unfortunately I didn’t get to help him with the monitor he brought and would like to connect back to see it again. The TV I brought ended up having good caps but 4 of the 6 pins on a regulator chip had solder joints cracked so bad you could wiggle the pins with your fingernail. After resoldering those and a few other suspect joints, the TV fired right up.

I held 4 fingers up behind my back and the closest to guessing the number was Shawn Christian who took the repaired TV home.

We had 8 signed up, one no-show, and 2 walk-ins. @mblatz - how do I make sure the 2 walk-ins are counted now that the class is over? I marked the attendance through the calendar tool.

6 Likes

Don’t worry about it. You got your three and there is not any tool access granted by the class. There is no way for an instructor to add students to the list.

1 Like

Thank you sir!

Shawn was one of the walk-ins. He, Kelly, and Larry stayed to see if the TV was fixable so the give-away was between them.

I received an email reply from that DMS member - The caps on the board were good but the caps in the power supply were not. Those were replaced and the monitor is working. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wish I could’ve made it. Fantastically useful class.