Backup generator discussion

Legalities … Per my burg’s ordinances, a backup generator must comply with…

• UL 2200 : Standard for Stationary Engine Generator Assemblies
    • Should be a stock cert on the generator itself
  • NFPA 70 : National Electrical Code
    • Should be fine so long as I watch my terminations, use good wiring, and use a compliant transfer switch
  • NFPA 110 : Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems
    • Seems to concern itself mostly with huge standby generators that spool up automatically that are tightly integrated with a facility
    • My installation would be a Class 2 (its failure will have no impact on human or facility life safety) in an outbuilding with no provision for human entry, thus easier to install
    • Does not mandate fireproofness nor offsets from the building
  • NFPA 111 : Standard on Stored Electrical Energy Emergency and Standby Power Systems
    • Seems to mostly focus on battery banks and UPSs
3 Likes

Some months later I’ve gotten around to assessing the market and have gathered the following data which may be of interest to the membership.

I prioritized by the following:

1. Noise
  2. Endurance @ 50%, Running Watts/$
  3. Efficiency @ 50%
  4. Endurance @ 25%, Efficiency @ 25%, Weight, Starting Watts/$

Edit 1: the weighting might be wonkey - will play around with it again later.

Edit 2: A more comprehensive sampling is in my V2 spreadsheet however the data is less extensive since I scraped summary data. Priority by Noise, Endurance, Running Watts / $ with the results under the data tab, W_Sum column (lowest score wins).

2 Likes

Only inverters considered? Or has the market just moved that way mostly?

I want the clean power, throttle control, and generally quieter operation. One can certainly get more watts per dollar with non-inverter models.

1 Like

I’m been more suspicious of the harder to repair and questionable longevity of the inverters, but if noise is an issue I can definitely see leaning that way.

My use case is presently backup power, with the unit situated in a side yard where there is less than 20’ between houses. Potential future use involves an as of yet non-existent RV type vehicle.

While it is possible to make solid state power electronics that run for decades at 100% of their rated output, the reality of any consumer product is cost effectiveness, thus one expects some corner cutting or unwritten derating along the way since warranties are what they are. I’m not depending on this for life safety, as a primary residential power source, to make a living, nor do I plan on using it for even hundreds of hours a year. Future RV-esque use could change that, however that’s a long ways down the road.

1 Like