Automotive has a new rolling project

I picked up a new project for Automotive the other night:
Needs a little maintenance and repair.
Will be a good teaching tool and more.

10 Likes

Is that an actual Ranger EV? If so, is it the rare factory version or a homebrew conversion?

Between this and the trebuchet possibly competing this year, DMS is conspiring to set that hook again.

4 Likes

ooooo.
can we tow Peggy to the competition with the PowerRanger?

4 Likes

Erik,

I have no idea what a “power ranger EV” is, I haven’t had time to look at the pair of three ring binders that cover the conversion.
It is NOT a “homebrew” model tho.
Older ? Yes,
Lead acid, yes.
Fairly heavy…yes.
Functional - mostly.

1 Like

I don’t know what the “Power Ranger EV” is either, but the Ranger EV was one of the 90s/early 00s compliance-mobiles turned out principally for CA. Looks like post-1999 they were the more-capable NiMH pack however a lead-acid version is more easily serviced … or upgraded to LiFePO4.

2 Likes

From the link:

The above the line cost of this vehicle (before manufacturer discounts and other public agency subsidies) was $52,720.00.

Tesla eat your heart out! :scream:

2 Likes

They did not make many of them, thus the engineering and EV model specific tooling was carried by previous few models. They further inflicted a hurt upon themselves by merely leasing them.

But like most EVs from that time, they were built for compliance purposes. And grudgingly so.

I’d really like to see this thing in person and work on it.

2 Likes

Hate to be that guy but I gotta ask.

Who has the title?
Did DMS buy it? Was it donated? There are special things that need to be done if it’s in DMS’ name.
Where will it live?

2 Likes

I have the title
I was asked if I wanted it for use in automotive or to do whatever with it.

What are the “special things” required if the DMS were to title it?

The mystery titled race car “lived” outside under a cover for over a year, so I don’t see a concern over that.

5 Likes

Why does this truck remind me of a certain vehicle in Kill Bill?

2 Likes

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Donations_2

Here is the rules

Short Description of what has to be done

1. Vehicle Donations
    Vehicles include cars, boats, and airplanes. Generally, a
    nonprofit must provide a donor with a written
    acknowledgment for the donation of a vehicle worth $500 or
    more.
    • Acknowledgment. The acknowledgement must include:
  • name of the donor,
  • taxpayer identification number of the donor,
  • vehicle identification number, and
  • date of the donation.
    • Nonprofit sells vehicle without using it: If the vehicle is sold by the nonprofit without
    significant use or improvement, the nonprofit must provide the information listed above
    AND an additional written acknowledgment that includes:
  • date the vehicle was sold,
  • that the vehicle was sold between unrelated parties in an arm’s length transaction,
  • sales price, and
  • statement that the deductible amount may not exceed the sales price.
    • Other required acknowledgments for donated vehicles. An additional acknowledgment must
    be provided if the nonprofit plans to:
  • significantly use,
  • make a material improvement, or
  • give or sell the vehicle to a low-income individual (if the nonprofit’s mission includes
    providing transportation at below fair market value).
    • “Significant use” includes providing transportation for a significant period or use directly
    related to instruction in vehicle repair. It does not include training in general business skills,
    such as marketing and sales. “Material Improvement” means an improvement that
    significantly increases the value of the vehicle. Application of finishes, removal of dents,
    Example: Written
    Acknowledgment with no
    Goods or Services in Return
    Cash contribution: “Thank you
    for your contribution of $300 to
    DoGood nonprofit received on
    March 23, 2016. No goods or
    services were provided in
    exchange for your
    contribution.”
    Noncash contribution. “Thank
    you for your contribution of a
    used oak baby crib and
    matching dresser to DoGood
    Nonprofit received on March
    23, 2016. No goods or services
    were provided in exchange for
    your contribution.”
    cleaning or repairs of upholstery, and installation of antitheft devices, are not material
    improvements. In this case, the acknowledgment must include:
  • a description of what and for how long the nonprofit will use the vehicle, or
  • the material improvement of the vehicle, and that the nonprofit will not sell the vehicle
    before completion of the use of improvement, or
  • that the vehicle will be given or sold (at a price below fair market value) to a low-income
    individual.
    • Acknowledgment: The nonprofit must use IRS Form 1098-C to acknowledge the donation of
    vehicle. Submit this form to the IRS as well.
    • Deadline: The nonprofit must provide the acknowledgment within 30 days of the donation
    or the sale of the vehicle, as applicable.
    • Valuation: A reasonable method of determining the fair market value of a vehicle is by
    reference to an established used vehicle-pricing guide. See IRS Publication 561.
    • Penalties for sale without significant use or improvement; inflating sale price. A nonprofit
    that sells a vehicle without significant use or improvement and knowingly provides
  • a false acknowledgment or fails to provide an acknowledgement must pay the greater
    of: the highest rate of tax (currently 35%), times the sales price stated on the
    acknowledgment, or
  • the gross proceeds from the sale of the vehicle.
    • Penalties for : A nonprofit that significantly uses, makes a material improvement, or
    gives/sells a vehicle to a low income individual and knowingly provides a false
    acknowledgement, or fails to provide an acknowledgment, must pay the greater of:
  • the highest rate of tax (currently 35%) times the sales price stated on the
    acknowledgment, or
  • $5,000.
    • IRS brochure for vehicle donors - A Donor’s Guide to Car Donations
    • IRS brochure for charities - A Charity’s Guide to Car Donations

Further Reading

1 Like

… so no different than the “special things” that we need to do for the “Space Bus”.

3 Likes

Agreed. All I’m saying is that it’s got more to it than someone donating another in-kind item.

The above “$500 or more” takes care of this issue entirely. This isn’t a “new car or truck and far” from anything of high value.

2 Likes

So, LiFePO4 conversion with AC motors on all 4 wheels anyone?

1 Like

LiFePO4 conversion should be practically a drop-in upgrade, albeit an expensive one. 4 wheel independent motors would be a more serious engineering project.

1 Like

AWD electric skids are worth it tho

2 Likes

Tag me in coach!
plus 20

2 Likes

After some digging, I’ve determined that this was a conversion since factory Ranger EV’s were regular cab, had custom grilles with front charging port, and had “Ranger Electric” badging. I can’t find anything but the most scant summary with a decently exhaustive album showing the innards.

Hope it’s still got the ridiculous purple interior.

4 Likes

interior schminterior. What about that tilt bed!?!

1 Like